4699 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Issues when attempting to complie gmake 3.79.1 on HP-UX 10.20

mr_s29
Advisor

Issues when attempting to complie gmake 3.79.1 on HP-UX 10.20

Hi.

I am attempting to complile gmake 3.79.1 on an HP-UX 10.20 machine.  I am following the attached instructions.

1) When I get to step 2, I type in 'make' and the following error message appears: 

/usr/lib/dld/.sl: Unresolved symbol: builtin_va_start (code) from make

Abort (coredump)

2) I also went to step 3 and typed in './make check' and got the following error message:

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/make-3.79.1/glob'

/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: builtin_va_start (code) from /usr/make-3.

79.1/./make

/bin/sh: 5001 Abort (coredump)

make: /usr/lib/dld/.sl: Unresolved symbol: builtin_va_start (code) from ./make

Abort (coredump).

3) Any help on what is cauing this issue and how to resolve it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Issues when attempting to compile gmake 3.79.1 on HP-UX 10.20

>dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: builtin_va_start (code) from /usr/make-3.

Are you using gcc to build gmake?  Where do you see these calls in your source?

There seems to be something wrong, by definition "builtin" shouldn't generate unsats, it should be handled in the compiler itself.  Or translated to another function call.

Or there is something wrong with your libgcc in that it doesn't match your gcc.

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

I apologize for the delay in my response.  I did install gcc 2.95.3 on this machine.  The c-compiler is also installed on this machine.  I want it to use gcc to install the gmake but I did not see anywhere where I could specify to use gcc and not cc (although the error message below seems to indicate that gcc is being used).

I just tried to compile gmake 3.80 on this machine.

I got the following message when I typed in "sh ./build.sh" in step 2 of the attached instructions when trying to compile the make package:

<<start of error message>>

compiling remote-@REMOTE@.c...

gcc:  ./remote-@REMOTE@.c:  No such file or directory

gcc:  No input files

<<end of error message>>

One thing to note:  I make symbolic links in /usr/lib that point to all of the files in /usr/pa20_32/lib (including libgcc.a) but I don't think that would cause a problem.  Also, the the libgcc.a file is what came with the gcc 2.95.3 tarball that I installed so I don't think there is a mismatch between libgcc.a and the gcc version I am using.

Again, this new error message appears when I tried to compile gmake 3.80 instead of gmake 3.79.1.  I am not sure if this new message gives you any hint at what my problem is.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The C compiler is also installed on this machine.

In /opt/ansic/bin/?

>when I typed in "sh ./build.sh" in step 2 of the attached instructions when trying to compile the make package:

>gcc:  ./remote-@REMOTE@.c:  No such file or directory

You seem to be following directions.  Something must be wrong with build.sh.  Can you look at the script to see where it is fiddling with "@"?

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

Their is no /opt/ansic directory on this machine.  I did a "which cc" and it returned /usr/bin/cc.  I forgot that I had changed /usr/bin/cc.  It used to be a symlink to /usr/ccs/bin/cc.  However, I moved /usr/ccs/bin/cc to /usr/ccs/bin/cc.orig and then made /usr/bin/cc a symlink to /usr/pa20_32/bin/gcc.  So, I don't think the C-compiler is playing a role here.

I went into /usr/make-3.80/build.sh.  The only references I found with the "@" symbol was in the following line:

REMOTE='@REMOTE@'

Thanks.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>made /usr/bin/cc a symlink to /usr/pa20_32/bin/gcc.

This may confuse things, possibly kernel regen?

>REMOTE='@REMOTE@'

Are are there any instructions that suggest you redefine this variable to something else?

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

1) I removed /usr/bin/cc

Now when I do a 'which gcc' it shows the correct path to gcc and when I do a "which cc' it does not find cc.  This is fine as we want to use gcc

2) After removing /usr/bin/cc, I tried to compile make again.  This time when I got to step 2 of the attached directions, I simply typed in "make" as I noticed that /usr/ccs/bin/make exists on the system.  I got the same error message as when trying to compile the 3.79.1 gmake.  That error message is below:

/usr/ccs/bin/ld:  Unsatisfied symbols:

_builtin_va_start (code)

*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

I am not sure why I keep getting this error.

Just as a note:  I am not sure which version of make does exist on the system (as I have tried "make --version", "gmake --version", "make -v", "gmake -v") but we need gmake version 3.79.1 to be installed on this machine (or a version that is very close).

3) I did not see any instructions that said I should redefine the REMOTE variable to something else.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I removed /usr/bin/cc

This should really point to /usr/ccs/bin/cc, which you should also put back.

>"make" as I noticed that /usr/ccs/bin/make exists on the system.

Typically if you need gmake, you would have gotten make errors before the link step.

>I got the same error message as when trying to compile the 3.79.1

Have you done a make clean first?

>I am not sure which version of make does exist on the system

It's HP-UX make, which won't help if you need gmake.

>3) I did not see any instructions that said I should redefine the REMOTE variable to something else.

Are there any files that have "remote-*.c"?

Anything in configure that mentions REMOTE?

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

1) I moved /usr/ccs/bin/cc.orig back to /usr/ccs/bin/cc

2) I also created /usr/bin/cc and it points to /usr/ccs/bin/cc

3) I am going to be working on compiling gmake 3.79.1 again instead of version 3.80 so I don't think I need to worry about the "REMOTE" variable any longer.  The reason I am going to be trying 3.79.1 again is because that is the version that I am really supposed to install.  I tried compiling and installing version 3.80 to see if it would compile for me but it didn't so I would rather work on the issue version 3.79.1

4) I have not done a "make clean" first.  Would I just type in "make clean" and then follow the steps of the attached instructions? 

5) Also, even though "which make" returns /usr/ccs/bin/make, I think I will follow the part in step 2 of the instructions where I use the following command as if "make" is not already installed on the system:  `sh ./build.sh'

Thanks.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>4) I have not done a "make clean" first.  Would I just type in "make clean" and then follow the steps of the attached instructions?

Yes.  I was worried you had old objects that had those unsats.  Perhaps starting from scratch may help.

>5) even though "which make" returns /usr/ccs/bin/make, I think I will follow the part in step 2 of the instructions where I use the following command as if "make" is not already installed on the system:  `sh ./build.sh'

You can try it both ways.  If you get some type of make error, then you know you have to use build.sh.

Since you are making "make", you would think the gmake makefile would use simple stuff but who knows?

And if not, it may have separate makefiles for "dumb" makes.  ;-)