New Discussion юеВ

Re: JBOSS under OpenVMS 7-3-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

JBOSS under OpenVMS 7-3-2

Hi Folks,

Does anybody have any experience getting JBoss running under OpenVMS. Is it feasible to get it running under 7-3-2 or does it need 8-3? I know there was an article posted on OpenVMS.ORG some time ago, a colleague has followed this and has not had too much luck.

Thanks

Brian
15 REPLIES 15
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

hi Brian,
I found this ref, not sure if it would work on 7.3-2 Dean

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=OpenVMSHints
Cindy Railey_1
Advisor
Solution

We have JBoss installed on Integrity Servers running OpenVMS v8.3 If I remember correctly JBoss will not run on Alpha.

I'm attaching draft version of the install procedures which outlines the pre-requisites.
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Aaah, the missing pieces of the puzzle (I hope). Is there a good reason why it won't work on Alpha? Or is it lack of testing?
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

OK, so the only downside is that I can't access the JBoss OpenVMS supplemental JAR file. :( (the URL starts off with http://peseta.zko.hp.com/ which I assume is HOP internal).

Is there another source of this file somewhere?
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

That's an surely an internal link...

JBoss is "pure java" , or am I mistaken? According the Java marketeers that would mean it _should_ run anywhere, regardless the hardware. Whether the performance is acceptable is another matter. It might run on Alpha but require BIG memory (like on Itanium) and still have a lousy performance ;).
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

I'm beginning to suspect that there is no such thing as pure Java and that regardless of operating system you still need to mumble the required set of magical incantations to get the damn thing off the ground.
Cindy Railey_1
Advisor

It probably just hasn't been tested on Alpha. The documentation came to me from our development group, I'm not sure how they got their hands on it.

I still have a copy of the supplemental jar and have attached it.

there is definitely some magic to getting JBoss installed on VMS. It was quite a learning experience for me.

What I can tell you - is you need to be sure you following the instructions very carefully -
- files are case-sensitive, so be sure to always >set proc/parse=extend
- use the examples in the guide for renaming zip files exactly as documented.
- remember to set the file attributes
- If you are passing a lowercase parameter you must always enclose it in quotes because DCL will convert it to uppercase otherwise.

I cannot talk about performance yet. Still in preliminary testing etc..

Hope this helps...
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Not just PARSE_STYLE. There is a whole bunch of (mainly CRTL (DECC$*)) logicals that control the way that VMS handles filenames.
It's all in the java documnetation (on line found at http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/documentation/1.5.0/ovms/docs/user_guide.html.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Luckily the requirements for JBoss are described in some detail in the PDF. To be honest the whole thing still seems like some form of black magic.