1748015 Members
4801 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Java Question

Joe Short
Super Advisor

Java Question

I have a client who's main production application requires Java 1.3 RTE (this is a People Soft product). They are now installing some third party storage software that requires the Java 1.4 RTE. I know they both install in separate subdirectories (/opt/java1.3, and /opt/java1.4)
My concern is that People Soft may still somehow be impacted by the introduction of the newer version. The client is sure that a newer version will crash the application, unless they can both coexist. I am just trying to be 100% sure of what I do next. I am about 95% sure that I am safe, but...
8 REPLIES 8
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Re: Java Question

I would be very surprised if you had a problem.

Have you asked People Soft themselves rather than the client?

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Joe Short
Super Advisor

Unfortunately, I don't have access to them, or all of the info I need to ask, like what specific People Soft app, or it's version.
Like I said, I'm 95% sure it won't be an issue. But I'm not ready to gamble a client, or they're business on the other 5%
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Joe,

You need to check that the People Soft apps set their own PATH to /opt/java1.3 and not use the default /etc/PATH. As long as that is true, you should see no ill effects at all.

Pete

Pete
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

I've just googled "people soft" and it came up with http://www.peoplesoft.com

At the bottom of the page there is a "contact us" link. My feeling is that a question along the lines of "Do any of your products have a problem with Java 1.4?" should produce a sympathetic and accurate response. I hope I'm right - good luck!

Mark
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Joe Short
Super Advisor

That's what I was thinking too. I'm just looking down all avenues.

Thanks.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

This is a situation in which I wouldn't even trust whatever some vendor told me (be it PeopleSoft, Oracle, or Mickey Mouse) because it's very difficult to answer with certainty given the complexity of some applications. The real way to find out is via a Sandbox so that you can replicate the environment; of course it's expensive - both in time and resources - but for mission critical applications it's the only way to safely do it. If your client is demanding certainty then nothing else really comes close.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Zinky
Honored Contributor

On our 11i systems, we have an average of about 8 installations of java at any one time. Most are bundled with 3party software andmost have the requirement of environment variables pointing to their own bundled JAVA tree.

I have never seen any 3rd party software that uses the Java that is installed in /opt/javaX.X. Even the OpenView products use their own bundled Java environments. Also, our global profiles are bever defined with path definitions pointing to any distribution of Java.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Joe Short
Super Advisor