4679 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mismatched ABI Errors with Oracle 10g, HP-UX 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
k.young

Mismatched ABI Errors with Oracle 10g, HP-UX 11i

Previously we were compiling various code types (C and Ada) on HP-UX 11.11 with and very old version of Oracle 734. We are now trying to link with Oracle 10g. I am getting the following:

/usr/ccs/bin/ld: /oracle/product/10.2/lib/libclntsh_nopthread.sl: Mismatched ABI. 64-bit PA shared library found in 32-bit link.

After reading some of the other threads, I have a few questions-

1. It looks like ALL of the packages/libs/.o files being included in the exec must be 64 bit - all or nothing?

2. If I link to lib32 in oracle it seems to work. What is the benefit/harm if any of running execs this way in 64 bit (provided they work - haven't gotten that far)?

3. If there is any way to mix them to use the existing Motif, X11, and other 3rd party libs I am already linking in let me know.

Thx
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

The linker expects all objects and shared libraries to be either all 32-bit or all 64-bit. It's the first object specified that sets the expected mode.

As an aside, shared libraries on PA-RISC platforms are suffixed with '.sl' while those for Itanium platforms use the '.so' suffix.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>1. It looks like ALL of the packages/libs/.o files being included in the exec must be 64 bit - all or nothing?

Yes including any shlibs you dynamically load.

>2. What is the benefit/harm if any of running execs this way in 64 bit

64 bit has a larger address space. If you don't need it, you may be using more memory due to the larger sizes of longs/pointers.

>3. If there is any way to mix them to use the existing Motif, X11, and other 3rd party libs

Only by using separate processes.
k.young

I was mainly fishing for answers - since I am linking in older 32 bit software - the answer is to inlcude the 32 bit Oracle when linking. For now that is where I am headed. Thanks to all who helped.