Re: My awking buddies.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

What about adding the carrot ^:

Try:

awk '/^'"$CDATE"'/ {print $0; for (i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print $0; } }' /var/log/sudo.log

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor

Jim, you are right, I maintain HP and Sun systems, it works ok from the command line on the HP system but I get bail out on the Sun system runnning Solaris 10. My HP sudo logs are one liners so I have no problem with those sysems, it is the new Sun systems that were dropped in my lap..
Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor

Ok Jim, if I use nawk on the Solaris system with your help I get the results, as always guys I knew you would be it to death and come up with the correct answer...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi James:

OK. There is another syntax to pass external variable. It uses '-v'. Try this:

# awk -v CDATE1=${CDATE1} -v CDATE2=${CDATE2} '$1~CDATE1 && $2~CDATE2 {print $0; for (i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print $0;}}' /var/log/sudo.log

Regards!

...JRF...

Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor

Boy, I just read my closure, need a editor to verify what I wrote. Meant to say with all your help beating it to death we came up with the correct answer. I am not trying anything else, I have a stress headache already and if it works don't change it...