6274 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need help compiling cobol program

Ken Mueller
Advisor

Need help compiling cobol program

Hi All,
I'm trying to compile a program using a script from an old PARISC machine. The new machine is 11.31.
Here's the comand:
cob -o $DC_BIN/DCRTSORA -xe "" $DC_BIN/dcsaddr.o \
$DC_BIN/dcspos.o \
$DC_BIN/trmout.o \
-l:libpthread.so \
$ORACLE_HOME/precomp/lib/cobsqlintf.o \
-lcurses \
-L $ORACLE_HOME/lib \
-lsqlplus \

here's the output:
ld: Mismatched ABI for -lsqlplus, found /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libsqlplus.so
Fatal error.

here's 'file' of that library:
ELF-64 shared object file - IA64

I ran file against all of the preceding objects - they are all ELF64. In other words it does not appear I am mixing 32 and 64 bit libraries.

Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The new machine is 11.31.

You neglected to mention that it is an Integrity server.

>they are all ELF64. In other words it does not appear I am mixing 32 and 64 bit libraries.

How do you tell cob(1) that you want to create a 64 bit executable? If there is an option you use when compiling, you need it when linking too.
Ken Mueller
Advisor

You tell cob which mode by using "cobmode." I've verified it is set to 64. I even changed "cob" to "cob64" at one point to be sure.
I've assumed it was using ld in /usr/sbin for linking and I checked that too to be sure it was 64 bits. Perhaps I will try to verify cob is using that ld.
Ken Mueller
Advisor

errr... /usr/sbin should have been /usr/bin.
Anyway, I found only one other ld and it was an old 32-bit PARISC one. Renamed it to ld.old and reran the compile script. Still no luck. I've confirmed that cob is using the 64 bit ld in /usr/bin.
Ken Mueller
Advisor

It turns out the first .o was a 32-bit library. I had just missed that somehow.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I've confirmed that cob is using the 64 bit ld in /usr/bin.

How did you confirm? There is only one ld, it runs in 64 bit mode but produces either 32 or 64 bit. (And ld is in /usr/ccs/bin/.)

And as you found, it bases its bitness on the first file it sees. If cob doesn't have -Wl,-t, you can "export LDOPTS=-t" to see each input file.
Ken Mueller
Advisor

There are actually two ld's on our system. One is the "normal" 64 bit version, and then there's a legacy PA ld. I needed to confirm that one wasn't being called somehow.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>There are actually two lds on our system. ... and then there's a legacy PA ld.

Ah, right but actually three. /usr/ccs/pa/usr/ccs/bin/ld invokes either ld32 or ld64.
Ken Mueller
Advisor

Yes indeed. Can you tell I'm new to the mixed architecture? It's making for some challenging work.