1753534 Members
5222 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Not able to type special character "@"

Memory
Occasional Advisor

Not able to type special character "@"

Not able to enter the special character "@" , while typing "@" , its leading to the next line.

its just clearing what all typed before "@" and keeping a new line.....

its an HPUX 11.23 machine , can you pls suggest the possibilities to happen like this.

3 REPLIES 3
Memory
Occasional Advisor

Re: Not able to type special character "@"

Can any one pls suggest a way , what could be the reason for happening like this.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Run "stty -a" and look at the first lines of the output. It probably says something like "kill = @" among other things.

This is a very old default setting, from the age of terminals that had a printer instead of a display screen.

In HP-UX, if nothing at all sets the stty settings to more modern values, this is the kernel-level default setting you'll get. The kill character has a special meaning: "forget everything I've written on this line and let me start over".

You can change the kill character in many ways:

• You can specify the special characters with a stty command manually:
    stty intr ^C erase ^H kill ^U
  • You can add the above-mentioned stty command to your personal login scripts (typically $HOME/.profile or $HOME/.cshrc)
  • As a sysadmin, you could add the command to system-wide login scripts (/etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc)
  • Or you can add this line to /etc/inittab, before the line that starts the getty process for the system console. (Please be very very careful when editing /etc/inittab: you could make your system unbootable)
    ttco::bootwait:/sbin/stty intr ^C erase ^H kill ^U < /dev/ttyconf

Using the "stty ... < /dev/ttyconf" changes the kernel's default stty settings for all new terminal devices: both real and pseudo-TTYs.

MK
Memory
Occasional Advisor

Thanks , now i have changed the default stty settings.