5442 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Oracle libs, binaries, conf files needed to build DBD::Oracle

Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Oracle libs, binaries, conf files needed to build DBD::Oracle

Hello,

I guess some of you have noticed my ever continuing humilation by gcc while merely wanting to install DBD::Oracle from CPAN on our HP-UX boxes.

Now at last, I found a HP-UX box (viz. a leasing server) among our server menagerie that was shipped with HP's own ANSI C compiler.
Yipee...

I instantly compiled Perl 5.6.1 from sources with prepending libcl and libpthread (obviously needed to build DBD::Oracle).

I then copied the whole library directory from a $ORACLE_HOME/lib installation on another box, and included the path to my copy in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I now need to know what else is required from the Oracle stuff to successfully build DBD::Oracle.
I really wouldn't want to do a full fledged Oracle client installation on the box where I just want to compile the driver.

So does anyone know what else is required?

How should I set ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_USERID to also have the make test successfully connect to the remote Oracle DBMS and do its suite of tests on the scott/tiger tspace?
Is any production of tnsnames.ora on the building box required for the Oracle name resolution?

Regards
Ralph

P.S. in case Merijn is responding, can I build gcc from sources with my leased HP ANSI C compiler, and how?
(you see, when the leasing contract ends I otherwise would again be left with bogus-gcc-pseudo-compilers)
Madness, thy name is system administration