108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Perl: Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in @INC

SOLVED
Go to solution
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Perl: Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in @INC

OK, I'm installing a new package on an HPUX11.i box, and I get the following error:

# perl Makefile.PL
Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in @INC

Anyone can tell me how to begin addressing this?
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi John:

# perl -V

...should show your @INC contents and 'ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm' ought to be in one of the paths! I'd do:

# find /usr -name MakeMaker.pm

...for example, using the root level directory to make sure you have the module (you should).

Regards!

...JRF...
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Hey James,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Ok, I've actually got the MakeMaker library in /opt/perl/lib/5.8.3... HOWEVER, there is also /opt/perl/lib/5.6.1 (which doesn't have it). Whenever I run perl, it always runs the 5.6.1 version...

And, when I run "perl -V" I get :
$ perl -V
Can't locate Config.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/perl/lib/5.6.1/PA-RISC1.1-thread-multi /opt/perl/lib/5.6.1 /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/PA-RISC1.1-thread-multi /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1 /opt/perl/lib/site_perl .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Ugh..

BUT, /opt/perl/bin/perl-dynamic -V returns:
... all of the good stuff we'd all expect about version 5.8.3... whoopee!

So, How do I make perl start using the 5.8.3 version and not the 5.6.1 version when both are loaded in the server? Because, when I run /opt/perl/bin/perl-dynamic Makefile.pm - it actually returns me the makefile that I needed.

Is this just simply a case of fixing the symbolic links for "/usr/bin/perl" that eventually land in /opt/perl/bin/ to run the dynamic version (which is 5.8.x) instead of the static version (which is 5.6.x)???
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) John:

> Is this just simply a case of fixing the symbolic links for "/usr/bin/perl" that eventually land in /opt/perl/bin/ to run the dynamic version (which is 5.8.x) instead of the static version (which is 5.6.x)???

Yes, that's what I'd do. Afterall, 5.8 has so many more nice things than 5.6.

It is recommended that '/usr/bin/perl' and '/usr/local/bin/perl' be symbolic links to the actual perl binary.

Regards!

...JRF...
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Thanks James,
I appreciate the help.

I totally screwed up on that last point assignment, I meant to put 10 pts, and now... it's too late. Sorry...

If I ever actually run into you at a conference, etc. - I owe you two beers in exchange for those missing two points.