1751888 Members
5130 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Perl for 11.0

wvsa
Regular Advisor

Perl for 11.0

Greetings, where can I find a version of perl that runs on a L1000 server running 11.0. We have attempted to run perl that is found on the hp develpers web site but the -V option errord. So any all help would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Perl for 11.0

Check out www.perl.com/CPAN and look for binary distributions. I'm running 5.6.0 on my 11.x boxes and it is rock solid.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
wvsa
Regular Advisor

The cpan site, www.cpan.org, only has a binary distribution for 5.5.3 it refers to the hpux porting site for 5.6.0. If I go to the hpux porting siteBoth 5.6.0 and 5.6.1 are available in binary form but when I broguht down 5.6.1 and did a swinstall of it it doesn't install the config.pm or warnings.pm files or others I'm sure.

After install if I run a perl -V I get a nasty message from @INC saying it cant find the config.pm file.

The reason I was going away from the 5.6.0 version is that it was complied on a 10.20 machine not an 11.0 one (see perl -V).

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

After you download and install the new perl 5.? are you sure you are using the new perl binary when doing a 'perl -V'?

A version of perl (perl4) is included with HPUX and is located in /usr/contrib/bin. When you install perl5 via swinstall, when downloaded from HPUX porting centre, is installed in /opt/perl5/bin. I made a link from /usr/contrib/bin/perl to /opt/perl5/bin/perl.

You could also solve the problem by making sure that /opt/perl5/bin is included in your PATH and is found BEFORE /usr/contrib/bin.
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm guessing that you are not running the the
new perl; create a link 'ln -s /opt/perl5/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl' and make sure that /usr/bin is before the hp perl in your PATH. I've run 5.6.0 on both an A180c and a K580 w/o problems. I've not tried 5.6.1 or an L box.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
wvsa
Regular Advisor

Thankyou for your responses. The links and path modifications mentioned have been done. We have 5.6.0 running on a 11.0 server. When you run the command perl -V the osvers value is 10.20 and there are several references to PA-RISC1.1 WHen we try to run the binary version of 5.6.1 the perl -V command does not work (note our previous reply).

It looks like the best way to go is to get the source and compile it ourselves. Has anyone done this successfully? Please advise. Thankou again.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
Please find the binary here for perl5.6.1.
It worked fine .
URL:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/

Thanks.
Manikandan
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I successfully installed a compiled version of Perl 5.6 from the sources of CPAN (i.e. stable.tar.gz) on all the HP-UX boxes I have to administer.

But to do this you need to have installed an ANSI-C compiler.
I'm afraid, the usual C compiler for linking a new kernel which is part of the standard HP-UX os is a crippled one which can't be used for building Perl.

Either you get the ANSI-C compliant compiler from HP (which I guess is at a cost of an extra license ;-) or you download the binutils and gnu gcc from the ports collection.

You may find both from
http://hpux.asknet.de
(chose a closer mirror in your vicinity and do a search from there for binutils and gcc)

You first would have to install the binutils.
When I downloaded the binaries of the depots at first I didn't realize that the gz suffix had been detached by my browser. So in case, you may have to rename the download and unzip it before installation.

After having installed binutils and gcc make sure their bin subdirectories are (at least for time of building Perl) in root's PATH before /usr/ccs/bin (e.g. to ensure the Gnu make and archiver etc are invoked instead of HP-UX's).

Then download the Perl sources from CPAN, extract the tarball into a temporary directory for the build and read the READMEs/INSTALLs.

Even though you can enforce the default answers for the configure script (I guess it was the -d flag?) you'd better run configure interactively (which asks many questions and will take some time)
If you are unsure about the answers the suggested defaults are sensible in most circumstances.

After that you'd do the usual
make
make test
make install
The last should install the stuff under the selected PREFIX (usually under /opt)

If you answered no to configure's additional installation suggestion for the Perl binaries you probably also would want to create softlinks to /usr/bin.
This would also ensure that not the obsolete Perl4 interpiler under /usr/contrib/bin gets invoked since usually /usr/bin come first in the PATH.

HTH
Ralph
Madness, thy name is system administration