1748089 Members
5062 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pro*C precompiler on HP-UX 11.0

Vince Arends
Frequent Advisor

Pro*C precompiler on HP-UX 11.0

We are running Oracle 8.0.5 on HP-UX 11.0. I have been told that I need to recompile a daemon that was written in Pro*C. I do not have the precomp/demo directory that is supposed to be under $ORACLE_HOME. Can I use the HP-UX make command to do this? If so, how? I need step-by-step instructions, if possible, because I know nothing about compiling Pro*C programs.
4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Pro*C precompiler on HP-UX 11.0

You need to recompile it either using the basic HP-UX C compiler (if its a simple C program) or the orderable full ANSI/C or Gnu C compiler. This shouldnt represent a problem as long as you have the compiler you need.

Did the person who said you need to recompile the deamon give you an idea what the program name is or how to compile it ? you need the c source file and then various options to compile it. You could try a straight cc on it (cc -o or you may have to try the ansic option, cc -Aa .....
There may well be other options which are needed though.

You can only use the make command if there is a makefile for the daemon you need to recompile. See if you can find a file called Makefile or makefile under the oracle directory tree somewhere. If your lucky there may simply be an opion to recompile it;
eg. make Lets say your ProC daemon is called BOB, then you could try make BOB and see if it works (if youre in the dir the makefile is in).

You really need some more info here to go on from someone who knows about this daemon.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Vince Arends
Frequent Advisor

I guess what I really need to do is install the Pro*C pre-compiler from the Oracle8 Enterprise Edition for HP-UX 11.0 CD? Oracle8 Release 8.0.5 for HP9000 Servers and Workstations Installation Guide seems vague on how to install just this one item. Anybody out there done this before? Can I do the install of the Pro*C pre-compiler with my Oracle databases up without bothering them? Is this a 5 minute, 30 minute or all-day task? Vince
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, install the Oracle Pro*C stuff is the only good solution to your problem. I had to to it before, and it can be done while the Oracle instance is up.

Just start the Oracle installer and only select the Pro*C package.

This is a -30 minutes task.

Hope this helps,
Rik.
Vince Arends
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the responses. I ended up installing the Pro*C pre-compiler from the Oracle8 CD, but it's not very "intuitive". I first took the "Add/Upgrade Software" option. Wrong choice! I then backed out and chose the "Install New Product - Do Not Create DB Objects" option. This took me down the correct path. And it did only take about 30 minutes, for this part. Then, there were other issues: the pcscfg.cfg file, permissions on directories and files, proper values for various parameters, etc. But, it looks as though it works, FINALLY! Thanks again. Vince