108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Profiling a program built with and without STLport

SOLVED
Go to solution
blackwater
Regular Advisor

Profiling a program built with and without STLport

The question is about significant difference in performance of the same application when it was built with STLport and without STLport.

For the sake of profiling I build on HP-UX 11.31 ia64 my application with STLport 5.1.7 and without STLport. So there were two configurations:

1) gcc 4.3.1, STLport 5.1.7, level of optimization O2
2) gcc 4.3.1, own gcc STL, level of optimization O2

It is probably important to mention that we have been developing the application for a long time using STLport and now we decided to build it without STLport, compare performance and if it is the same or better then start using own gcc STL library.

So I run a simple test when 500 000 requests are sent to the application, processed in one worker thread and sent back
500 000 responses.

What is interesting is that the version with STLport processes requests 25% faster. So for the time being it is not practical to give up using STLport. However I would like to get some assistance in finding out why STLport gives such a significant boost and what can be done to get this speed in the no-STLport version.

I profiled both applications and the problem seems to be in the fact that the no-STLport verion calls too often pthread_mutex_unlock().

STLport-version of the application (profiled with Caliper) showed that there were 57308 pthread_mutex_unlock() calls count. No-STLport-version of the application (profiled with Caliper) showed that there were 124941 pthread_mutex_unlock() calls count.

Actually I have done some search, found recommendation to assign variables of type std::string in this way (add .c_str() to a right-parameter): string_var_1 = string_var_2.c_str(), changed code in often called functions, profiled again and it resulted in 70000 pthread_mutex_unlock() calls count. It is definitely some improvement but it is still worse than STLport-version and what is more important it is not feasible to find all places where it was necessary to add .c_str().

So what recommendations for this situations could you give?

By the way I attached both profile reports.
9 REPLIES 9
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>So there were two configurations:

Any reason you haven't looked into using aC++, even with STLport? g++ can't compete with the code generated by aC++'s +O2 and above.
Of course you may lose more than you gain when using the aC++ runtime.

>What is interesting is that the version with STLport processes requests 25% faster.

Hard to argue with that.

>the fact that the no-STLport version calls too often pthread_mutex_unlock.

(Actually since lock/unlock come in pairs, it is calling pthread_mutex_lock too often.)

>found recommendation to assign variables of type std::string in this way (add .c_str() to a right-parameter): string_var_1 = string_var_2.c_str()

For aC++'s reference counted strings, this would hurt things.

>So what recommendations for this situations could you give?

Change the g++ STL to optimize your cases? Perhaps STLport is using its own allocator and bypassing malloc?
libstlport.so.5.1::stlp_std::__malloc_alloc::allocate

Not using strings but const char*.

If you look closely at your caliper outputs you'll see that for STLport 56.37% of the calls to lock come from __thread_mutex_lock, which comes from other libc functions:
real_free
localtime_r
__gmtime_r_posix
real_malloc

So don't call these that often. ;-)
You might get help by using MallocNG.

For the no STLport case, with 86.91%, you are doing about 5 times as many calls to malloc.
blackwater
Regular Advisor

Dennis,

Thanks for your answer.

>Any reason you haven't looked into using aC++, even with STLport?

It's a good idea. We'll give it a try. We don't have any compelling reasons to use only gcc.

>Perhaps STLport is using its own allocator and bypassing malloc?
There is such way of allocating memory in STLport but we don't use it. We have built STLport with #define _STLP_USE_MALLOC 1. As you can see in [79] 96% of time stlp_std::__malloc_alloc::allocate spends in libc.so.1::malloc

> If you look closely at your caliper outputs you'll see that for STLport 56.37% of the calls to lock come from __thread_mutex_lock, which comes from other libc functions:

Yes, it's true. I have already realized that. It is likely that it might be optimized.

blackwater
Regular Advisor

I am going to build the application
1) with acc and STLport
2) with acc and its own STL
and measure time of processing requests.
blackwater
Regular Advisor

One more point.

Are you sure that MallocNG is available for download?

I went to this page: http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5992-4174/ch02s07.html, then I went to http://hp.com/go/softwaredepot, then I searched for SWPACKv3 and finanly got (quote): "0 products shown below matched your search on "SWPACKv3".
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> Are you sure that MallocNG is available for download?

Yes, see:

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=MallocNextGen

Regards!

...JRF...
blackwater
Regular Advisor

James,

Thanks, I will try to install it.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>As you can see in [79] 96% of time stlp_std::__malloc_alloc::allocate spends in malloc

Then the decision to call malloc is made higher in the call tree. Perhaps if you turn off inlining, it may be easier to find.

If you use MallocNG, your STLport version should also be faster.
blackwater
Regular Advisor

>>Any reason you haven't looked into using aC++, even with STLport?

>It's a good idea. We'll give it a try. We don't have any compelling reasons to use only gcc.

I can build Boost 1.38 with aCC but it seems I can't build recent versions of the Boost library with aCC. Unfortunately this is a problem for my project.
blackwater
Regular Advisor

My mistake. Checked again and 1.43 complies.