108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Run time can't find libstdc++.so

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Dorak
Advisor

Run time can't find libstdc++.so

Our application runs HP-UX on Itanium. One of the libs I work on links with libstdc++.so and during run time we get the error: Unable to find library libstdc++.so. Is this something we have to distribute with our application?
The build and test systems are both running: HP-UX B.11.23 U

Thanks,
JJD
12 REPLIES 12
TY 007
Honored Contributor

Hello JJD,

Assume Application libstdc++.so.* location is:
/opt//lib/libstdc++.so.3

Issue command:
# cd /usr/lib/hpux32
# ln -s /opt//lib/libstdc++.so.3 libstdc++.so

Thanks
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>Is this something we have to distribute with our application?

Exactly. This foreign devil lib doesn't come with the system.

>TY 007: # ln -s /opt//lib/libstdc++.so.3 libstdc++.so

While you could do this, it is probably better to include the path to /opt//lib in the executable. That way there is less things to change on the end user's system.
John Dorak
Advisor

Thanks for the replies, we will be including this module in with our application libraries.

Another question, if I may.
Is there a way to flush out these run time link issues during build time?

Thanks,
JJD
John Dorak
Advisor

This is a follow-up on my previous posting.

I am also getting some Unsatisfied data symbol errors during run time. Is there a way to flush these out during link time?

Thanks again,
JJD
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Is there a way to flush out these run time link issues during build time?

If you link with the -Wl,+b,path option to give the runtime path and you install there, you can at least make sure it runs. I'm not sure this is build time as you wanted?

>I am also getting some Unsatisfied data symbol errors during run time. Is there a way to flush these out during link time?

If you link with -Wl,-Bimmediate, you'll get these runtime unsats. Of course you'll need to install and run the application. And you then need to use "chatr -B deferred" to put put it back.

The linker does have the -Wl,+vshlibunsats option to print out shlib unsats.
John Dorak
Advisor

Thanks again Dennis, this worked great. Now on to the next step, is there any documentation on what symbols are in what libs? Here's a sample of what I'm seeing:

ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "std::__rw_std_streams" in file CC_PropertySet.o
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_SetIP" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_SetGR" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_GetIP" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_GetGR" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "std::basic_ostream >::_C_opfx()" in file CC_PropertySet.o
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "__udivdi3" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "__divdi3" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_RaiseException" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_GetRegionStart" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "std::ios_base::_C_sync_with_stdio" in file CC_PropertySet.o
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "std::ios_base::_C_unsafe_clear(int,int)" in file CC_PropertySet.o
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "std::basic_istream >::_C_unsafe_get(long*,int,int)" in file /builds/Prebuilt/HPia64/icu/3.2/lib/libicuio.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_end" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libc.so.1
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "std::basic_istream >::_C_ipfx(int)" in file /builds/Prebuilt/HPia64/icu/3.2/lib/libicuio.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_Resume" in file CC_Accessor.o
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "main" in file /usr/lib/hpux32/libc.so.1
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_GetLanguageSpecificData" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_DeleteException" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so
19 warnings.
Completion of ./cc_common_build.sh build script

John Dorak
Advisor

At run time it is not as bad (probably the library path is a bit more complete) but I still get the following and can't trace down the home library for them.

symbol not found: _ZSt16__rw_std_streams (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/lib/cpp/libfcl.so)
symbol not found: _ZNSt8ios_base18_C_sync_with_stdioE (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/lib/cpp/libfcl.so)
symbol not found: _ZTVSt14__rw_exception (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/lib/cpp/libfcl.so)
symbol not found: _ZNSs9__nullrefE (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/lib/cpp/libfcl.so)
symbol not found: _ZTVN4__rw17__rw_thread_errorE (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/lib/cpp/libfcl.so)
symbol not found: _ZTIN4__rw17__rw_thread_errorE (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/lib/cpp/libfcl.so)
symbol not found: _ZNSt6locale9_C_globalE (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/lib/cpp/libfcl.so)
symbol not found: _ZSt16__rw_std_streams (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSComponents/lib/libicuio.so.32)
symbol not found: _ZNSt8ios_base18_C_sync_with_stdioE (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSComponents/lib/libicuio.so.32)
bash-2.03$
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You are appropriately hosed. You are mixing g++ and aC++.

>is there any documentation on what symbols are in what libs?

Why look up documentation when you can scan the libs:
$ nm -pxAN /usr/lib/hpux64/lib* /usr/local/lib/hpux64/lib* | grep -e foo1 -e foo2
(Or use grep -f and put the symbols in a file.)

Were you creating an executable or shlib (with -b)?

ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_SetIP" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so

This is why I don't use -Wl,+vshlibunsats. This is defined in libunwind. And it shouldn't have been listed. (I assume g++ is smart enough to include -lunwind.)

ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "__udivdi3" in file /usr/local/lib/hpux64/libstdc++.so

This lib is broken. It was linked incorrectly and should have its own copy of these functions.

ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "_end" in file libc.so.1
ld: (Warning) Unsatisfied symbol "main"

These are found in your executable.

>At run time it is not as bad (probably the library path is a bit more complete)

No, because +vshlibunsats gives too much info. There is a better tool for PA32, show_remaining_imports:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1115429
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1151071
But you need show_remaining_imports_elf which I haven't attached yet.

>but I still get the following and can't trace down the home library for them.
symbol not found: _ZSt16__rw_std_streams (/u1/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/lib/cpp/libfcl.so)

It should be obvious. ;-) They come from aC++, not your foreign devil g++. The nm(1) fragment above would have told you that.

You must not use libfcl.so and libicuio.so.32 in your g++ application, or you must port everything to aC++. I doubt IBM would port those libs to g++ or C for you.

John Dorak
Advisor

Thanks Dennis,
The libfcl.so is the component I'm porting to HP Itanium. This shared lib is ported across a number of OS platforms but this is the first time for this module on HPUX Itanium.

I'm not surprised some g++ got in there, some of the libs we use are from open source projects.

I'll give some of your suggestions a try.

Regards,
JJD
dorak@us.ibm.com