108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Script to monitor the systems.

Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

okay.

Some more thing is like. Can I use it to send 1. average system load every hour
2. Can I send email without a alarm, i mean just a regular output, can I include such thing in this. And I want to send email every one hour.

Can I do this here.

Thanks a lot
Prashant
"Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless."
Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

does some uses anything else: Like SAR to create the report and send mail and uptime with that, or might be something else..Please send all help, it's really appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Prashant
"Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless."
Con O'Kelly
Honored Contributor

Hi Prashant

My advice is that if you have MWA (now known as OV Performance Agent) installed on your system then you should definitely take advantage of its capabilities to monitor performance and send alarms.
This is one of the things it is specificlly designed to do. It's far more powerful than trying to script sar or any other method of performance alarms.

It does take a little time to configure but once you have it working you can use the same alarmdef file for each sever (assuming you want the same alarm thresholds). RAC has already outlined how it works.

If you do not have OVO (ITO) or are not using SNMP then you need to specify an "EXEC" action in the alarmdef file.

Also look at the 'agsysdb' command:
# agsydb -l
shows how MWA is configured to deal with alarms. 'Exec Actions' : on

The MWA (OVPA)User Guide has a good chapter on configuring the alarmdef file (Chp 7 - Performance Alarms -> Alarm Syntax reference)
http://ovweb.external.hp.com/ovnsmdps/pdf/mwausers_ux_c.03.75.pdf

Also look at this excellent HP whitepaper about configuring MWA which I have attached.
It gives a very good explanation of how to use the alarmdef file.

Cheers
Con

RAC_1
Honored Contributor

You can have a cron job that will do this for you. But I would rather stick to MWA.

You can put the output of uptime/sar to know run queue. Also you can put glance output (with adviser mode) to be emailed every hour. But I think that would not serve a purpose other that reporting the measurements at the point in time.

You should be knowing the alarms - the performance problems consistent over a period of time.

So stick with alarmdef.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK