New Discussion юеВ

Re: Size of terminal windows

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christian Deutsch_1
Esteemed Contributor

Dear Vibhor,

1. After a couple of years you should get the hang of things... X is a clever system that was invented decades ago and still works very well, as you noticed. On one hand quite complex, on the other hand very flexible (e.g. with shared/X more than one user can look at/use the same window at the same time).

2. I hope I understand your concern a little bit better now... If I got this right you want to open a dtterm "first time" the right way, without having to open another dtterm.

3. Hoping that 2 is correct: you have Exceed set up to open an xterm already, so all you need to do is set up Exceed to open a dtterm instead and pass it the -sl 2000 parameter in the process. Got it? If you don't know Exceed so well, check the online help, manuals or ask someone else who's also using it.

Kind regards, Christian
Yeshua loves you!
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Esteemed Contributor

Yes,

You understood the exact thing, except that my exceed directly opens a dtterm ( not xterm ).

I have started using exceed just a month ago, needless to say i am an novice in that.

Okay i will try to see form where can i pass the -sl 2000 parameter.

Some guru here gave me the concept of .xs file, but those files are not working.
I don't know where am i wrong.
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Christian Deutsch_1
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Dear Vibhor,

1. ok Exceed gives you a dtterm, great!

2. Since you have a registered copy of Exceed it should be no problem for you to get product support from Hummingbird to help you get the parameter passed.

3. You can also try:

3.1. Open a dtterm to your HP system
3.2. Create file "xres" on your HP system, containing one line:

Dtterm*saveLines: 2000l

(two-zero-zero-zero-letter l)

3.3. /usr/bin/X11/xrdb -m < xres

Kind regards, Christian
Yeshua loves you!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Another alternative to configuring dtterm (or xterm or hpterm) is to create a file in your $HOME directory called .Xdefaults. You can quickly create it like this:

cd
echo "Dtterm*saveLines: 2000l" > .Xdefaults

Now to improve the environment (actually, to make your window have the same environment as a telnet login), add this line:

cd
echo "*loginShell:true" >> .Xdefaults

Now when you next start a window from Exceed, you'll actually login and see /etc/profile and .profile run.

You can also control the colors you'd like to see in each window as in:

echo "*background:darkSlateBlue >> .Xdefaults
echo "*foreground:white" >> .Xdefaults

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks

It has started to work.

Do we have many more interesting things.
From where can i find them out.
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Christian Deutsch_1
Esteemed Contributor

Dear Vibhor,

Thanks for the cool new hat!

Some more ideas for you. Below are the options I use. I like a pale green background. I don't like blinking cursors very much. I like a black foreground (letters) for good contrast. I like to specify a nice geometry, widthxheight+pixels from left of screen+pixels from the top.

loginShell gives me a dtterm with a new login shell that runs my .profile automatically when it is opened. mapOnOutput pops the window up (makes it visible again) if there is new output in the window. I don't want a menu bar in my dtterm (can get the menus using my right mouse button if I want them). I like the pointer to go blank if I'm just looking at something in the window and not typing. I like a custom cursor. And finally I don't want a beep if I press a particular key at the wrong time (e.g. backspace at the beginning of a line), so I let the window flash at me instead. And there are many more options you could set if you want to: man dtterm.

Kind regards, Christian

Dtterm*background: #ca00e4e4ca00
Dtterm*blinkRate: 0
Dtterm*foreground: Black
Dtterm*geometry: 80x43+20+15
Dtterm*loginShell: True
Dtterm*mapOnOutput: True
Dtterm*mapOnOutputDelay: 120
Dtterm*menuBar: False
Dtterm*pointerBlank: True
Dtterm*pointerBlankDelay: 5
Dtterm*pointerColor: Coral