4958 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unusual error from Pascal NEW

Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Unusual error from Pascal NEW

Hi Folks,

One of our development teams is getting the following error message from the Pascal compiler.

%PAS-F-ERRDURNEW, error during NEW
-LIB-F-BADBLOADR, bad block address
%TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
image module routine line rel PC abs PC
PAS$RTL 0 0000000000034430 000000007C132430
PAS$RTL 0 000000000003438C 000000007C13238C

(I've attached the output as well.)

The HELP/MESS indicates that this a problem with invalid virtual addresses being passed to LIB$GET_VM or LIB$FREE_VM. The development team have not been able to reproduce this problem in isolation, it only occurs when the full process is up and running.

Any thoughts as to what the problem could be? The point which is the target of the new is local to the procedure.

cheers

Brian
11 REPLIES 11
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

And the attachment (to make the reading that much easier)

Hoff
Honored Contributor

What you're describing - right down to the development team not being able to reproduce it -- points to a corrupted heap and a data or timing or load sensitivity in the code.

I've posted up articles on implementing and using fenceposts and debugging memory management. That material was for C, but this most certainly looks like there's something that's stomped on the heap here.

http://64.223.189.234/node/401

That "something" here could be code in the application that's overrunning a variable or a buffer, an unsynchronized and late-arriving I/O that lands in its buffer from a previously-active stack frame, etc.

Start instrumenting your memory management code, and start centralizing your memory management. Also apply current ECOs for OpenVMS and the LIBRTL.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Brian,

consider to use SET PROC/DUMP before running the image, which produces this error. Then a process/image dump will be written, if the error happens. This will allow further diagnosis of the memory contents at the time of the error.

Volker.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Brian,

Encapsulate your allocations and deallocations in a layer of calls so you can easily add diagnostics.

Try adding calls to LIB$SHOW_VM, LIB$VERIFY_VM_ZONE in various places. If you don't know which done which zone you're in, write a routine which loops using LIB$FIND_VM_ZONE to verify all zones. Call it from strategic points in your code to try to home in on where the heap is being trodden on.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Volker,

I'll as the development team to do the SET PROC/DUMP.

John,

The errors come out of a call to NEW so we have no means of instrumenting that. I will ask the team to add some to calls to check out the VM zones.

I'll also do a check on the code and check for some of the more obvious coding errors (IOSBs used by a QIO being defined as procedure local etc.)

cheers

Brian
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Brian,

did you note that the traceback stack dump does not include any of the application routines ? This may indicate, that the stack is also severly corrupted.

If you think you know the location of the failing NEW statement, you could at least add an explicit LIB$VERIFY_VM_ZONE for all zones into that module prior to the NEW statement.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

> The errors come out of a call to NEW so we have no means of instrumenting that. I will ask the team to add some to calls to check out the VM zones.

I'd replace these NEW calls with my own calls and my own memory management. Don't scatter NEW (or malloc or any other VM calls) throughout your code. Centralize your calls.

Your developers will hate that. But it'll find and fix this, and it'll be easier to find and fix similar bugs in the future.

Scattered memory management calls with one or more latent heap corruptions can be somewhere between difficult and extremely difficult to debug, and latent errors can be more widespread than they might appear. Some of the various members of this class of errors can be rather more subtle than a stackdump. And the faults tend to be fairly far upstream in the program execution path, or subtle, or both.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Hoff: I'd replace these NEW calls with my own calls and my own memory management.

Or if there are heap (C and Pascal) corruption detection tools, use them.
John Reagan
Respected Contributor

The ERRDURNEW is the error coming directly from LIB$GET_VM. It returned BADBLOADR. We only use the default zone. So I suspect you've corrupted the heap or you've run out of page file quota.

As for replacing Pascal's NEW with direct calls to LIB$GET_VM and family, I'd like to point out that while NEW itself allocates memory using LIB$GET_VM, the compiler generates additional code around calls to NEW to perform many Pascal language semantics. Things like applying initial-state, initializing schema types, etc. Simply replacing calls to NEW with LIB$GET_VM may not work for certain types.