Operating System - HP-UX
1753974 Members
7021 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WARNING: MOD: mod_obj_relone: Illegal relocation type R_IA_64_LTOFF_TPREL22 154 (0x9a)

Dmitry Grebenev_2

WARNING: MOD: mod_obj_relone: Illegal relocation type R_IA_64_LTOFF_TPREL22 154 (0x9a)

Hi,

I am getting the following message immediately prior to "MOD: mod_obj_load: Relocation in module XXXX" error message on IA-64-based 11.22. The same DLKM compiles and loads and works fine on PA-RISC. I suspect that the problem is in accesss to the u-area. For instance, to make the reference naspp module fail, one can add something that gets the current directory. Thanks for any pointers.
8 REPLIES 8
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor

Re: WARNING: MOD: mod_obj_relone: Illegal relocation type R_IA_64_LTOFF_TPREL22 154 (0x9a)

It looks like your compile line was missing some options specific to creating a DLKM on IA-64. The necessary options are documented in "Managing and Developing Dynamically Loadable Kernel Modules" available at
http://www.docs.hp.com./hpux/onlinedocs/dlkm-62001/dlkm-62001.html

In particular, the +kernel option will cause cc to use a R_IA_64_TPREL22 relocation instead of a R_IA_64_LTOFF_TPREL22 relocation. (The "LTOFF" part refers to a symbol lookup table that normal programs use to find symbols that may be located in shared libraries.)
Dmitry Grebenev_2

Re: WARNING: MOD: mod_obj_relone: Illegal relocation type R_IA_64_LTOFF_TPREL22 154 (0x9a)

Thank you very much for your help. I do have the +kernel option. In fact, the very same problem happens if you take the HP's reference naspp module and add the following to its naspp_load() function:
printf("I am being loaded by pid %d\n",
u.u_procp_->p_pid) ; (of course you will need to include ). BTW, the "Developing Dynamically Loadable Kernel Modules" doc off that URL contains an error in its sample code at the very end:
it lists +XixdU option in CC_OPTS_ia64 while the compiler reports that it is only supported on PA-RISC.
Here is a full transcript (I have header in my own location - it does not change a thing):
/opt/ansic/bin/cc -c -o mod.o -Wp,-H300000 +kernel +O2 +Olit=all +DD64 -Ae +Oshortdata=0 -r -DLWSYSCALL -DPGPROF -DACLS -DAUDIT -DIDDS -D__ROSE__ -DHPONCPLUS -DVARIABLE_UAREA -DSTCP -DIVT_INTERCEPT -D_UNSUPPORTED -D_HPUX_SOURCE -D_XPG4_EXTENDED -D_KERNEL -D__STDC_EXT__ -D_CLEAN_BE -D_SYSCALL_64 -D__NO_PA_HDRS -DKERNEL_DEBUGGER -U__IA64__ -U__hp9000s800 -U__hp9000s700 -U__hppa -I. -I/mystuff/HPUX1122-64/h -I/mystuff/HPUX1122-64 naspp.c
kminstall -u naspp
config -M naspp -u
Generating module: naspp...
(Bundled) cc: warning 922: "+Oshortdata=0" is unsupported in the bundled compiler, ignored.
Requesting loadable module update...

The following modules are activated successfully:
naspp

/tmp/naspp> kmadmin -L naspp
kmadmin: naspp: Object file error in loading kernel module
/tmp/naspp> dmesg -

Jan 15 12:18
WARNING: MOD: mod_obj_relone: Illegal relocation type R_IA_64_LTOFF_TPREL22 154
(0x9a) in module /stand/dlkm.4006C159079B/mod.d/naspp/0.1.0/naspp.

NOTICE: MOD: mod_obj_load: Relocation in module /stand/dlkm.4006C159079B/mod.d/naspp/0.1.0/naspp failed.

Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor

The cc_bundled on 11.22 will use the R_IA_64_LTOFF_TPREL22 relocation. You should get a real hp C compiler which will use the correct relocation.

(The cc_bundled on 11.23 actually does use R_IA_64_TPREL22 in +kernel mode. I don't know what other problems it may have with building a DLKM.)
Dmitry Grebenev_2

I use ANSI C compiler for the module itself (cc: HP ANSI C++/C B3910B A.05.36 [ May 2002]
). The "cc_bundled..." message comes from /usr/conf/gen/config.lm which is hard-coded to use ccs binaries. I actually tried building everything with /opt/ansic/bin/cc and it did not help. I heard that ANSI C 5.50 may resolve the issue...
Thank you.
Michael Umansky

So did anyone ever provide a satisfactory answer?
I have a machine with 11.22 on it with the ANSI compiler version A.05.36 (May 20 2002) and I can't get my DLKM modules to load for the same reason as yours, I keep getting the same error message. I even removed cc_bundled and symlinked it to /opt/ansic/bin/cc.
This means that I can't ship my modules to any customer who has 11.22 with that compiler. Is there any solution?
thanks
Michael Umansky
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Michael please open your own thread for this topic. Dmitry has not posted since January.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Dmitry Grebenev_3

I had to move on to 11.23, since upgrading the compiler (the recommendation I got) to see if the problem goes away was not an option for us + retrofitting a statically linked kernel subsystem that was already shipping with a capability to be installed as a DLKM did not make much sense. On 11.23, no problems of that sort were observed.
Regards, Dmitry
Michael Umansky_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the information. From what another member told me it looks like upgrading to 11.23 is the better solution and I guess the customer(s) will have to do the same.
Spasibo
misha