108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XtCreatePopupShell using uil file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joan Coleman
Occasional Contributor

XtCreatePopupShell using uil file

Can I use an object defined in a .uil file as the child of a Popup Shell?
In my C program I make a call to create a widget using XtCreatePopupShell. Rather than making all the calls to define it's contents in the C code, can I lay out a bulletin board in my .uil file and then somehow let the popup shell use this as it's child?? I see no call to do this. Or, is there a way to describe the Popup Shell completely in the .uil file?
2 REPLIES 2
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor
Solution

You could call MrmFetchWidget to create a widget tree under a Shell widget. You could also create a complete Dialog widget with uil and then manage and unmanage the child of the XmDialogShell to make the Shell pop up and down. There is an example of that in the /usr/contrib/Xm2.1/programs/periodic directory of 11.00 and the /usr/contrib/Xm1.2/periodic directory of 10.20.
Joan Coleman
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for taking time to help me with this. I used the MrmFetchWidget and used it as a child of the XtCreatePopupShell -- since I didn't want the window to be minimized when the main one was. I was under the (mis)impression that widgets fetched by this call had to be dialogs or top levels ; also, thanks for the suggestion of looking in /usr/contrib/Xm1.2. I had learned a lot from that moftiburger example a few years ago when I started looking at Motif ( we had an HP750) - but didn't realize it was back on the B2000. All those examples are very well done and are excellent learning tools. Thanks again.