Operating System - HP-UX
1753590 Members
6289 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

a.out problem while loading SMH module

a.out problem while loading SMH module

Hello,
I have a problem with some modules in SMH in HPUX 11.31 v3 (Dec 2007). While I trying to open de the disk Option, en the menu "Disk And FileSystems" and then "Disks", ahd then when I press Enter the operation fail with this error:
exec(2): could not load a.out
exec(2): could not load a.out

This efect only appears when I change maxssize_64bit kernel parameter to 1 GB or More. When I change it to less than that value, sam and some other programas (like kmeminfo) works and I don't get this error.

I have 5 rx2660 with 8Gb of ram, and all of this servers have the same issue.

I'd reinstalled 2 of 5 servers, and in the 2 server reinstalled the issue has dissapeared.

Some clues?

Best regards.

Diego.
11 REPLIES 11
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Re: a.out problem while loading SMH module

I see SMH is following the same path as SAM ( it does not work most of the time )

Have you looked for updated patches yet ?

Yes. I'd applied the Quality Patch.
May be a bug in some HP-UX installers?
I have three media for HPUX Installer (Foundation), but aparently has the same part number each one.

I have a case open in HP but experts doesn't have any clues yet.

I'm finding a solution without have to reinstall all the systems (some of them are in production).

Diego.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Got this one, PHSS_36871 ?

One quick check maybe to swlist PH*|wc -l on one of the two servers that work and one of them that does not just to see if somehow some patch or product got left off.

Thanks Tim

But I think that this path will not resolve my problem, because it only resolve STE problem in SMH, and the system have software library problems.

The a.out problem appears after execute external commands such as diagnostics tools as: kmeminfo and crashinfo, and only with tuned kernel parameters (maxssiz_64bit >= 1GB).
With maxssiz_64bit < 1GB the a.out dissapear, but the database need maxssiz_64bit at least 1GB.

Best Regards.

Diego.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>With maxssiz_64bit < 1GB the a.out disappear, but the database need maxssiz_64bit at least 1GB.

Why would you ever need that much stack space?
But I have this on IPF and have no problems.
What is your maxssiz, you can't have that at 1 Gb. Possibly increasing maxssiz_64bit exposed this bad value?

Dennis:

The problem was the stack size, was in "unlimited". Setting this value to the default, the a.out message dissapeared.

ulimit -s 131072 solved the problem.

Thanks.

Diego.

The problem was solved with ulimit -s 131072 (setting to the default value), with recommendation of HP experts.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The problem was the stack size, was in "unlimited".

You still may have a problem. What is the value of maxssiz?

If our answers were helpful, please read the following about assigning points:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Hello.

The maxssiz current value is 128MB.

Diego.