is supposed to be used for?

Thanks,

CRS
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: define question

Hi:

A little context of _where_ you are looking at this define would perhaps help provide a decent response!

Regards!

...JRF...
C R S
Occasional Advisor

well now.... I'm not sure you _really_ want to get into this but....

We are trying to compile our application on 11.31 and runninginto API issues. It compiles fine on 11.23.

Here is the scoop so far....

We have narrowef this problem down to differences between the time.h for each version.

The /usr/include/time.h on 11.23 is all fine and good, however, /usr/include/time.h on 11.31 is including a new file

it is in that file, _time.h that has a prototype declaration of select that does NOT match what we need.(if you do a man on select on 11.31 you see two ways to call select)

the inclusion of the _time.h looks like the culprit in using wrong select(the one for compatability).

It seems that defining the _NO_USER_PROTOS skips the inclusion of the _time.h but I wasn't sure what else that definition would do.

I'm just trying to figure out the right way to do this.

Thanks,

CRS
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> well now.... I'm not sure you _really_ want to get into this but....

Then, why ask? :-)

Your additional description begins to define your question. It seems to be related to your previous thread too, after a fashion:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1234287518022+28353475&threadId=1304590

I'm afraid I don't have an 11.31 system to look at the includes.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

This seems to remove all prototypes from lots of files in /usr/include/sys. I'm not sure why anyone would want to use it?
It may be used for building kernel drivers?
Basically this isn't documented so you can't use it.

>It seems that defining the _NO_USER_PROTOS skips the inclusion of the _time.h but I wasn't sure what else that definition would do.

You don't want to use this macro. You need to look at select(2) to select the right one. Which?

Any reason you didn't just give up and use the hammer?