New Discussion

Re: grep recursive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Francesco,

You can still assign JRF the points he deserves. Click on the "reopen thread" button, then assign the points, then click on the "close thread" button.

Pete

Pete
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Francesco,

Thread is not closed. Please assign points to JRF. He deserves it.

Thanks,
IT_2007
Francesco_13
Regular Advisor

Hi,
ok, before weekend was be problematic connect with forum. This morning it's ok! assigned points.
we can close the thread.
thanks to all
regards.
Francesco
Francesco_13
Regular Advisor

Hi,
when i run the script from / of my hp-ux, after several minutes i receive this error:
/usr/bin/grep: The parameter list is too long.
I don´t know where have stopped.

i use:
grep -i force `find / -exec file {} \; | grep -v directory | grep -v executable | awk -F':' '
{print $1}'`

How i can remove this problem?

Thanks.

Best regards.

Francesco

Francesco_13
Regular Advisor

Hi,

for the other option with:
#!/usr/bin/sh
typeset DIR=$1
typeset PAT=$2
find ${DIR} -xdev -type f | while read FILE
do
[ `file ${FILE} | grep -ic ascii` -eq 0 ] && continue
grep "$PAT" ${FILE} /dev/null
done
exit

I have introduced -i option for uppercase. But one question: how i can do it for find only word "force" and no returning me other words how for example "forced" where force it's present?

Thanks.

Best regards.
Francesco
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Francesco:

A simple 'grep' will match the string of characters without regard to where they occur. A simple solution for finding only the word "force" would be:

# grep -i -e "^force " -e " force$" -e " force "

The caret (^) anchors the string to the beginning of a line. The dollar sign ($) anchors the string at the line's end. Surrounding the string with spaaces " " creates the sense of an English word.

In answer to your question regarding Peter's script, the "parameter list is too long" error arises because the 'find' is creating a list of files for input the 'grep'. The list generated is too long to be passed to 'grep' in one unit.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>grep -i force `find / -exec file {} \; | grep -v directory | grep -v executable | awk -F':' '
{print $1}'`

Peter's script is not the proper way to use find, if it will return an infinite number of files. You must use xargs or better yet use -exec grep +.

It seems you can only use -exec file +. But you shouldn't use `find ...`.

You need to replace by:

find / -exec file + | \
grep -v -e directory -e executable | \
awk -F":" '{print $1}' | xargs -n40 grep -i force

You may want to add 2> /dev/null to the find and the last grep.

>how i can do it for find only word "force" and no returning me other words how for example "forced" where force it's present?

You need to use grep -w. (If you are on 11.11) This is easier than James' solution. Otherwise a more rigorous solution for 11.00 would use

[[:space:][:punct:]] where he has a blank, before and after your word "force".