108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to use gdb to locate memory leak in source

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Veenman
Occasional Advisor

how to use gdb to locate memory leak in source

I use gdb to find memory leaks in my C++ program. It comes up with a list of (mainly) constructors like:

1 3500 125 0x40d7f698 operator new [](unsigned long)()
2 1152 32 0x40edf160 operator new(unsigned long)()
3 216 6 0x40edec20 operator new(unsigned long)()
4 180 5 0x40edf190 operator new(unsigned long)()
7 144 4 0x40edf1c0 operator new(unsigned long)()

I like to know exactly in which source this constructor was called so I can assess the code and fix the leak.
However, just this constructor info is not specific enough for me to relate that to a specific source file. The program I am dealing with consist of hundreds of source files in many directories, and in a lot of different places constructors are called.

Also the 'info leak' output gives me address info, but if I interpret the data correctly it is a heap address and not a text address. So putting a breakpoint on this address so I can do a backtrace does not work because the program is never stopped by the breakpoint.

Does anybody have good idea's how I can set a smart breakpoint so I can get more detailed info in what source the leaks occur?

4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You need to compile all the source with the "-g" option to put debugging data into the objects and executable. You also need supply -d dir1 -d dir2 to gdb so that it knows where to look for your source files.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Rob Veenman
Occasional Advisor

I compiled everything with -g (otherwise 'info leak' does not work). I can get all the sources across from our compile box to our run environment or use nfs mount. But that still does not tell me where (= in what source and line number) memory is allocated but not freed (correct me if I am wrong here).
'info leaks' only gives me the 'operator new' info which is not sufficient for me to find a unique source.
Is there a way gdb can give me more details? Can I make use of the address in the 'info leak' output?
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor
Solution

Please try the following.

(gdb) info leaks

This should print out more detailed leak report.

(gdb) info leaks
Scanning for memory leaks...

1000 bytes leaked in 1 blocks

No. Total bytes Blocks Address Function
0 1000 1 0x40429c30 operator new [](unsigned long)()

(gdb) info leaks 0
1000 bytes leaked at 0x40429c30 (100.00% of all bytes leaked)
in operator new [](unsigned long) ()
in f(void) () at test.C:4
in main () at test.C:8
in _start ()

Rob Veenman
Occasional Advisor

info leaks is giving me exaclty what I was looking for.