6964 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

kshquery

Nadie_1
Frequent Advisor

kshquery

Hello team

I'm writing a korn shell code on a unix box to check to see stale partition in all volume groups, my commands are correct but I'm just having problem running the loop correctly, basically first I just want to run a command which will start a sync process in the back ground, and then I just want to run a loop to check to see how many stale partitions are still left and keep runnign the loop until there are 0 stale partition? I also want to record time.

below is my snippet, can you please correct my loop so it works, commands are find I've tested them and they work as expected. I think I'm not incrementing it properly and also my do/done are not closed properly ?

#!/usr/bin/ksh
set -x
Logfile=/tmp/time_recording.log
TMOUT=60

# Start looping here to check stale partitions after migration
echo "Looping to check stale partitions, sync operation and time recording will start now on $(date)">>${Logfile}

cc=0
                if [ ${cc} -le ${TMOUT} ]; then
                for vg in `lsvg -o|grep -v rootvg` ; do
                echo "starting sync process for $vg">>${Logfile}
                echo "nohup syncvg -v $vg &">>${Logfile} # This command start sync process in the BG.
                done
                fi

typeset -i kk=0
                for VG in `lsvg -o|grep -v rootvg` ; do
                count=`lsvg $VG | grep STALE | awk '{ print $NF }'` # this filters stale pps OK

while [ $count -gt 0 ] ; do # Trying to run a loop to check stale partitions here
                echo "There are still $count stale PPs in the $VG vgs--please wait for sync to complete">> ${Logfile}
                (( kk = kk + 1 )) # Perhaps not incrementing it correctly ?
                done # not closing it properly somewhere ?
                done

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo "Sync operation has completed successfully for $vg and time recording has finished on $(date)">> ${Logfile}
fi

Thanks in advance

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX>General to HP-UX > languages. -HP Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ksh query

The first thing you should do is to have a consistent indentation style of 3 space or so.  And indent blocks in if/then/else, while and for.  Then we can read your program.

while [ $count -gt 0 ] ; do # Trying to run a loop to check stale partitions here
      echo "There are still $count stale PPs in the $VG vgs--please wait for sync to complete">> ${Logfile}
      (( kk = kk + 1 )) # Perhaps not incrementing it correctly ?

done # not closing it properly somewhere?

This loop will not stop since you don't change $count nor do you compare with $kk.

Nadie_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dennis for quick response, much appreciate it, i need to get this going soon, so apprecaite it, below is my simple snippet which works fine but I just want to add my sync command their first

#!/bin/ksh

logfile=/tmp/log

# Where should I add my sync command ie "some_command" and then continue the loop to test out stale pps ?

and I'd like to put start and end date to a log file so we know how long it took ? Please assist

below snippet works like a charm but need to add above before i start the loop ?

while true
do
for vg in `lsvg -o|grep -v rootvg` ; do
count=`lsvg $vg | grep STALE | awk '{ print $NF }'`
if [ $count -ge 1 ] ; then
echo "There are $count stale PPs in the $vg VG"
fi
done
done

Nadie_1
Frequent Advisor

also im checking for the existence of 0 stale pps obviously, so it should come out of the loop if it has found 0 stale pp's and exit the program with the time stamp simple ?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

(( sync_pass = 0 ))

while : true; do

(( total_count = 0 ))
   for vg in $(lsvg -o | grep -v rootvg); do
      count=$(lsvg $vg | awk '/STALE/ { print $NF }')
      if [ $count -ge 1 ] ; then
         echo "There are $count stale PPs in the $vg VG"

(( sync_pass += 1 ))

echo "starting sync: $(date) (pass: $sync_pass)" >> $logfile

sync_something

echo "ending sync:   $(date) (pass: $sync_pass)" >> $logfile

(( total_count += count ))
      fi
   done

if (( total_count == 0 )); then

break  # no stale PPs

fi
done

This should stop if it found no stale PP on one pass after checking on each VG.

Is this right?        if [ $count -ge 1 ] ; then

Nadie_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dennis, really appreciate ur knowledge sharing it has always helped me.

And you you are spot-on, once it has gone through the each vg and found 0 stale partition we want it to break the program.

I just tested the snippet you have kindly sent, it's working like a charm, thanks so much for your prompt help.

I'm always stuck in do/while done and can't just close them properly ?

but i will post you if the snippet has any hiccups, I think it works now as expected.

Keep well and talk to you soon