108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: perl 5.8.7 with threading

SOLVED
Go to solution
MikeL_4
Super Advisor

Merijn, thanks for all your help with this. I recompiled perl with following as you suggested: sh Configure -Dcc=gcc -Dprefix=/opt/perl-5.8.7 -A prepend:libswanted='cl pthread '
and all went good. Is there a way to verify that I have perl as needed for DBD-Oracle ?

MikeL_4
Super Advisor

Merijn, I get to the DBD-Oracle make run and it's compile errors out...

I scripted it's Makefile.PL and make and was hoping you or someone might tell me what's going wrong ...

Thanks

H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Thanks can be expressed in assigning points.

There is no better way to check than to build and install DBI and DBD::Oracle
I have full confidence in that the *perl* binary you just created is not causing that to fail

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

I'm afraid you don't have the include files installed

# find /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.6.0 -name oci.h

If you cannot find it, you have to install the part that contains it (C development or something)

MikeL_4
Super Advisor

Merijn, Thanks for your help aad patience, if I could give more points I would..

I ran through the entire setup on another server which had the files installed in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo and everything installed without a problem, including the DBD-Oracle. So as soon as the DBA's give me a rdbms/demo directory with everything in it I install it on the problem server.

As a comment when you build new depots, the reason we couldn't over write our current production /opt/perl is that we are in the middle of an upgrade to a version 9 of Oracle. The production is running Version 8, so if I update /opt/perl with the ORACLE_HOME for Version 9 then the production application scripts will not work.

As a suggestion may I recommend that you build the depots to install in as an example: /opt/perl-5.8.7

Thanks Again..
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Thread closed, but I'll answer that anyway.

The solution to that problem is to NOT install DBD::Oracle in the default perl tree

I face the same problem, and since you can only install one single DBD::Oracle in the default tree, and I want to support multiple versions of Oracle on the same perl, I have a directory called 'perl' on $ORACLE_HOME (on *each* $ORACLE_HOME) and install your DBD::Oracle in there

When you then switch to the product, you set $PERL5LIB to find that first:

bev r3:/pro/po/bev/4gl 101 > echo $PERL5LIB
/pro/asql/o82C/lib/perl:/pro/po/bev/4gl/c19f000/vog
bev r3:/pro/po/bev/4gl 102 > perl -MV=DBI
DBI
/pro/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/PA-RISC2.0-LP64/DBI.pm: 1.48
bev r3:/pro/po/bev/4gl 103 > perl -MV=DBD::Oracle
DBD::Oracle
/pro/asql/o82C/lib/perl/5.8.5/DBD/Oracle.pm: 1.16
bev r3:/pro/po/bev/4gl 104 >

Another nice thing is that this works also for multiple versions of perl :)