108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

perl Sys::Syslog logs fqdn

John Kittel
Trusted Contributor

perl Sys::Syslog logs fqdn

All previous existing entries in my syslog.log have the format:

MMM DD HH:MM:SS LF:name tag: message

where LF are level and facility ( I use -v in syslog options), and name = simple host name.

And, if I use logger to log a message, I get the same format.

BUT, if I use a perl program, the simple host name becomes a fully qualified host.domain-name.

Is there a way to use the perl module Sys::Syslog to log messages with only the simple host name, not the fully qualified name?
(I'm looking, and trying various things, but don't see a way. I guess I could use system or backticks to call logger...)

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
John Kittel
Trusted Contributor

Re: perl Sys::Syslog logs fqdn

Oh, I'm using Sys::Syslog (version 0.01). I see there are newer versions available. I haven't checked if newer versions address this...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I've never used this module but one thing jumps out at me. When you invoke openlog what are you using as $ident? ... and did you, in fact, call openlog before using the syslog function?
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I don't think that you can control the logging (but then why?). WHen you extract your log, simply snip/substitute off the domain name.

# echo "server.in.domain"|perl -nle 'print $1 if /(.+?)(\..+)/'

Regards!

...JRF...
John Kittel
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, guys.

Clay, I tried using openlog, and without using openlog. Using openlog, with $ident = simple hostname, I get the same format

MMM DD HH:MM:SS LF:name tag: message

where name = fully qualified name, and tag = the simple host name that I put in $ident.

JRF, the syslog is forwarded to another system managed by someone else, who is creating reports from it. I was just in the initial stages of developing this, and thought it would be simpler for them if the messages all had the same format.