108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

problem with installing patches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tarek
Super Advisor

problem with installing patches

I'm trying to install some patches: for ex. PHCO_22924 - PHSS_19379 - PHSS_21971.....but having problems during swinstall, an error message appear:
"name_ws:/patch/PHSS_19739": An I/O error occurred while performing this task.
First I thought the patches were downloaded bad, i tried the second download but during install the same messages appears.
Hope someone can help me.
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Ellis
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: problem with installing patches

The patch names should have .depot on the end, have you run sh to unpack the patch?

Pete
Thomas Kollig
Trusted Contributor

Hi!

Perhaps you have gezipped files. Rename them (add .gz) and use gunzip.

Bye,

Thomas
Tarek
Super Advisor

Thanks very much!!! That was a problem...I'm new and i'm trying to learn, so every time i download patch i have to run sh...
Thanks again
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Tarek,

When you download a patch from HP ftp server, it comes as a text file.

This text file is a "shell archive" that need to be extracted using the following command:
sh PH??_?????

Make sure that you have the correct format if you are downloading on a PC as windows uses
pairs to delimit lines while Unix only uses

If you transfer from HP ftp server to a PC, use the binary mode when ftping to your HP Box.

If you use 'vi' in the patch file and see a '^M' at the end of every line, then you know it's the wrong format. Use 'dos2unix' to convert your file if it's the case.

Once extracted (with 'sh PH??_????') it should leave you 2 files, one ending in '.depot' and one ending in '.text'.
The first oue should be used as source for your swinstall command.

Best regards,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com