3685 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: trying to run a PA-RISC cobol executable on Integrity Itanium

Karey Sadler
Occasional Contributor

trying to run a PA-RISC cobol executable on Integrity Itanium

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to run a MF Cobol executable on an Integrity Itanium system. I believe the problem is the runtime and libraries are ELF-32/IA64 and the program is PA-RISC1.1 shared executable dynamically linked. Aries indicates this will not work. Is there anyway to convert the PA-RISC executable to IA64?
Thanks, Karey
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Karey:

> Is there anyway to convert the PA-RISC executable to IA64?

In the context I think you mean, no.

As for libraries, the Aries manpages are clear: "Aries does not support PA-RISC applications that load Itanium-based shared libraries. In other words, mixing PA-RISC binaries with Itanium-based shared libraries is not supported. Aries is meant only for pure PA-RISC applications, such as binaries that are either statically or dynamically linked with PA-RISC libraries only."

( http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/Aries.5.html )

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the problem is the runtime and libraries are ELF-32/IA64

No, the problem is that you must copy the PA MF runtime and libs over to your Integrity server.

If MF did their installation correctly, the runtime & libs should be in different paths so you can both run native and PA executables on Integrity.
Abbott Vascular
Occasional Advisor

I required the use of MF cobol to support PeopleSoft. I've run an older version of this, certainly not an IA build, for at least 6 years, so I can assure you it works. When running the install script, everything this product requires, libraries included, should all be under /opt/microfocus/cobol or what ever directory you installed it to. Find the location of the libraries and make sure you have the $COBDIR set to that install path for what ever user you are setting things up with. There are precise requirements for setting up the licensing server and other issues, and makes setup of this product one of the more complex I've had to mess with, but once you get it down, it works great.
Abbott Vascular
Occasional Advisor

I forgot... I used my company login to post that, so I'm going to leave another post as Russ Park, so if you're assigning points, please assign to that post.

Thanks!
RC Park
Frequent Advisor

Hi, I posted the bit about MF Cobol and Peoplesoft above as Abbott Vasuclar, but if you're assigning points, please assign here.

Thanks!
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

To run PA-RISC MF Cobol .lnt and .gnt files on Integrity you need the full MF Cobol development suite available on Integrity, not only the runtime libraries. Before you can successfully use the copied MF environment from PA-RISC, perform the license migration.

Once you have the PA-RISC MF Cobol environment available on Integrity, the PA-RISC Cobol executables should work fine under ARIES.

You cannot convert PA-RISC executables to IA64, instead you can recompile PA-RISC Cobol sources using Integrity native MF Cobol.

Regards
-Rajesh