Operating System - HP-UX
1753877 Members
7372 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: gdMalloc (code)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Hassell
Respected Contributor

/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: gdMalloc (code)

Please help!

I've come across a neat little program that takes web/ftp logs and converts them into nice charts/graphs in html (http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer). However, it's not functioning properly. Here's the info:

HP-UX 10.20
Problem program - webalizer 2.01-05
Requires - libpng 1.06c, jpeg6b, zlib 1.1.3, xpm 3.4k, freetype 1.3.1.

I've installed each of these via swinstall using from the HP-UX Porting and Archive Centre (http://hpux.connect.org.uk). Each of them installed successfully.

However, when trying to execute the webalizer program it gives the following error, then core dumps:

Webalizer V2.01-05 (HP-UX B.10.20) English
Using logfile /opt/wu_ftpd/adm/log/xferlog(ftp)
Creating output in /opt/apache/lib/htdocs/webalizer
Hostname for reports is 'server1'
History file not found...
Generating report for March 2001
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: gdMalloc (code) from /opt/gd/lib/libgd.sl Abort(coredump)

When I do a 'strings /opt/gd/lib/libgd.sl' I see the gdMalloc reference, so I did a quick man on malloc and found that this is now an empty library but the functionally remains?

So I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some info to go further with as I have looked in newsgroup after newgroup for the info, to no avail.

Everything compiles sucessfully and it even executes, however it bombs out at this point time and time again.

I *have* patched dld.sl (PHSS_17255) and libc (PHCO_20441) with no luck. Any help would be greatly appericated, Thanks.

- Mike
The network is the computer, yeah I stole it from Sun, so what?
4 REPLIES 4
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Re: /usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: gdMalloc (code)

Have you tried re-installing the gd package? The latest version on the HPUX Porting site is 1.84.

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Development/Libraries/gd-1.8.4/
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Mike Hassell
Respected Contributor

Jim,

I have reinstalled the gd package, version 1.84 again, and it completed successfully. I can even run the gd utils from command line, ex:

-----------------------------------------------
server1:/opt/gd/bin>./webpng
Usage: webpng [-i y|n ] [-l] [-t index|none ] [-d] pngname.png
-i [y|n] Turns on/off interlace
-l Prints the table of color indexes
-t [index] Set the transparent color to the specified index (0-255 or "none")
-d Reports the dimensions and other characteristics of the image.

If you specify '-' as the input file, stdin/stdout will be used input/output.

When webalizer calls one of these gd utils, it brings up the error listed above. Does anyone out there have a working knowledge of malloc on HP-UX 10.20? I'm lost on where to turn with this one. Thanks.

- Mike
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Did you build gd from the source code or install it from the pre-compiled depot? I'm thinking that maybe if you build from the source code then things may work.

I don't think that there is actually anything wrong with malloc or any HP library. A quick look through the gd source code showed that the gdhelpers.* files contain code to wrap the memory management function calls (including a wrapper function called gdMalloc). As far as I can tell though the code is OK, but C programming isn't my strongest suit.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Mike Hassell
Respected Contributor

Jim,

You are correct, seems the package on hpux.connect.ork.uk is corrupt. I found this message in comp.sys.hp.hpux today:

The Binary package on HP-UX center is corrupted, get the source package
and edit the Makefile to insert the 2 missing object for libgd.sl (gdft
and gdhelpers i think, but see the list for libgd.a).

They forgot two objects which cause the thing to bomb out. I've downloaded the source and recompiled manually and it works just fine. Thanks for your help.

- Mike