Comware Based
1753478 Members
6053 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

switch does not boot successfully after Latest firmware update.

MikeDavidsom
Occasional Contributor

switch does not boot successfully after Latest firmware update.

Initially I had an intermittant problem with an aging 3com switch 3226 or 3CR17500-91 in that its management system  would stop responding to any kind of communication. A re-boot of the resolved the problem for a while.

I thought it a good idea to update to the latest firmware. Booting the switch into diagnostic mode, I was able to install the firmware (downloaded from HP support site) via a TFTP server with no problem. However when I re-boot the switch boot crashes giving the following messages:

I2C Initialization ............ PASS PCI Discovery: found unit 0: BCM5645_B0 on bus 0, dev 0x13, fn 0 Using driver: BCM5645_B0 PCI device BCM5645_B0 attached as unit 0. FS_STORAGE_Init::ERROR!! for FS_STORAGE_BUF_Allocate return NULL0x1dffdf8 (tRootTask): memPartAlloc: block too big - 235619840 in partition 0x8942d4. 0x1dffdf8 (tRootTask): memPartAlloc: block too big - 117809920 in partition 0x8942d4. Create syslog file in file system failed.: errno = 0x11000

Has anyone got a suggestion on what might be wrong.

Many thanks, Mike D.

2 REPLIES 2
radw
Occasional Visitor

Re: switch does not boot successfully after Latest firmware update.

So, is there no HP Engineer which can help us with these old switches?

It's your product after all...

sdide
Respected Contributor

Re: switch does not boot successfully after Latest firmware update.

Hi,

This one is a bummer.

You need console access. I think you can press CTRL-U right after POST

Then you get prompted for a password, where you enter: "sosupdate".

Now you should get file listing and hopefully see more than one ".bix" file, where you can choose to set another startup file. You can also upload another image via xmodem, which would probably take some time, but i guess its the only way, if the old boot file is not still there.

After switching back to the old image, you should be able to boot the switch again.

/Regards

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland