M and MSM Series
1752678 Members
5604 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Procurve M110 custom frequency and bandwidth settings?

SPQR
Occasional Visitor

Procurve M110 custom frequency and bandwidth settings?

I am a licensed Radio Amateur ("HAM") and would like to change the operating frequency of my M110 to 5.705 GHz @ 10 MHz channel-bandwidth since this is a legal frequency for HAMs and in our country there is a "HAMNET" called LEGAL network for HAMs operating in this range.

Each country I've selected in the web interface does not provide settings between 5.705 GHz and 5.745 GHz (I tried them all!). In the config.cfg there is a possibility to set the frequency to 5.705 but this leads to errors when uploading the config file to the access point. It there a three-letter country code for generic, unlimited frequency selection? 

I've also tried to configure my AP thru CLI via SSH, but still no success. I'm quite sure there is a chance by editing config-files of the underlying Linux system but access to the shell is protected. 

Can anyone provide a method of calculating the answer to the "challenge" or has a clue how to interrupt boot process and start a (rescue-) shell in Linux? At start there's no output via the serial console. After a few seconds the console seems to be active some time because chars entered are echoed, but none of the keys I pressed could stop the boot process.

2 REPLIES 2
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

There are no 802.11 wifi channel at 5.705 GHz so the radio and/or software probably wont support it. Closest are ch 140 at 5.700 GHz, next one is ch 149 at 5.745 GHz.
---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

SPQR
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for precising it - this is why I'm asking for a work around. In fact there ARE channels (141...148) but normally they can't be chosen because this frequency range is reserved for HAM use and not for the public.

The hardware is for sure able to work in that range, and there is hardware from other vendors that can be re-programmed (Microtik, Ubiquiti, etc.). So my guess is it's possible to set the frequency in some config files that are not accessible thru the web interface, thus I'm interested in gaining access to either special config options in the config.cfg file or direct shell access to the underlying Linux.

Again, this would not be illegal in this special case as I'm licensed to do it.