M and MSM Series
1752722 Members
7547 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3 MSM430 APs failing to update to firmware version 6.6.0.0 from version 6.4.2.0

MZG2116
Frequent Visitor

3 MSM430 APs failing to update to firmware version 6.6.0.0 from version 6.4.2.0

We have a MSM720 controller which i just updated to the 6.6.0.0 firmware version. 12 of our MSM430 APs updated correctly. 3 of them at a remote office don't seem to be taking the update. The controller tries to upload the firmware but the APs just disconnect after a few minutes. This process repeats itself about every 30 minutes.

Any ideas as to what may be happening? I have updated the firmware on these units before with no problems.

Would i loose my config if I downgraded back down to version 6.4.2.0?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

3 REPLIES 3
RamKrish
Valued Contributor

Re: 3 MSM430 APs failing to update to firmware version 6.6.0.0 from version 6.4.2.0

Hi

Yes, you would loose config if you downgrade back to 6.4.2.0 from 6.6.0.0.  Except for one scenario,  if you were previously running 6.4.2.0 prior to upgrade to 6.6.0.0 then you wont loose config.  As it would restore the config from the previous snapshot which would have been captured as part of the upgrade.

For remote APs not taking the firmware, are you able to confirm if they show up as "uploading firmware" then goes back to "resetting config --> pending --> Waiting for acceptance --> validating firmware"?

If the remtoe office over WAN link like MPLS, then there are good chance of somewhere MTU limiting the data packets coming from controller to AP.  You might want to check if thats not the case.

Alternatively, if you want to update each of the MSM430 to 6.6.0.0 in an isoalted environment prior to attaching them back to controller environment.  You can download the standalone image for MSM430 from the support HPE Networking support portal - https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J9651A

Regards
Ram
MZG2116
Frequent Visitor

anks for the reply.

I think i'll reset the APs and attemp to update the firmware while the they are in autonomous mode. At this point i'm not able to determine why the APs try to connect back to the controller, validate the software and begin the dowload before dropping out again. It may be an issue with the ipsec tunnel between our offices. I'm also afraid to downgrade the software and risk disconnecting the rest of the APs.

I currently have a ticket open with HP support in order to resolve the issue. I'll update this post once i resolve the issue.

Thanks again

This sounds like a layer 3 provisioning problem. Assuming 3 AP's are in different subnet you fix this by adding an A record in DNS used by those AP's equal cnsrv1.yourlocaldomain.local pointing to your local MSM controller. Also remeber to do a TCP adjust MSS on your WAN link.