New Discussion юеВ

AP MSM30 migration from one controller to another controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gararda
Occasional Advisor

AP MSM30 migration from one controller to another controller

Hi,

I have installed a Team of MSM765 controllers. The controllers are in a CPD and the APs are in remote locations. The APs joins the Team by a DHCP option 43.
I also have controllers in remote locations with APs. They find to each other at layer 2 (same VLAN).
Now we want to migrate the APs of remote locations controlled by remote controllers at layer 2 to the new controllers Team. I have doubts with this migration, I can not make a factory default reset, because the fist method to discover a controller from an APs is UDP Broadcast, so I think to do the following:

• From the controller, provision the AP in the following way:
  1. AP - Provisioning - Discovery: add the ip address of the Team members in "Discover using IP address" - SAVE
  2. AP - Provisioning - Conectivity: change to "DHCP Client" - SAVE
  3. Reset AP

The documentation says:

• Connectivity provisioned: YES
  • Discovery provisioned: YES
  • Result: Discovery occurs using the provisioned methods over the provisioned connectivity. The provisioned discovery method is retried indefinitely if it fails, however other discovery methods are not attempted

Has someone tested it before?

Best regards.

5 REPLIES 5
Michal Dole├Е┬╛al
Frequent Advisor

Re: AP MSM30 migration from one controller to another controller

I must solved little different and simplier situation. We migrate APs from MSM720 to MSM765zl.

I must enable provisioning overwrite checkbox (on Controller-Provisioning)

And then I forced local provisioning on each AP (we have static provisioning) for controller and also for IP address and VLAN etc. Save - Synchronize and then reboot of AP.

AP will discover new controller.

But be careful if both controllers are in the same VLAN. Here can be some problem (because AP will firstly try to discover controller by broadcast so If manual provisioning is not effective this can be problem).

If you have dynamic provisioning using option 43, in this case you can just change the IP address in DHCP (under MSM option).

But I don┬┤t have experience with teams because this is not so good part of exColubris (MSM) solution.

Michal Dolezal, DiS.
System engineer
AVE BOHEMIA, s.r.o.
RamKrish
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi

Another option that should work (i have tested many times)

1. First let the local APs synchronize with the local controller first.

2. After APs synchronised, on the local controller - enable Global level provisionin setting (refer screen snap attached)

3. Once global setting enabled, select one of the AP that you want to move to remote controller.  Go to provisioning section for that individual AP and enter the provisioning settings, uncheck inheritance for discovery and enable discovery with proper remote controller ip address. (similar to attached screen snap)

4. after entering proper details on the AP provisioning page, make sure to click SAVE (AP should show as unsynchronized)

5. Then most IMPORTANTLY, Synchronize the AP configuration.

6. AFter AP synchronization has been completed, reboot the AP, it should now use the provisioning configuraiton to talk to remote controller.

Without step 4 and 5 completed properly, you wont be able to get the APs talking to another controller.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Ram
Gararda
Occasional Advisor

Hi RamKrish,

that's the way I had planned to do, but had not taken into account the points 2 and 5 (the most important┬б┬б┬б┬б┬б).
I will comment the results as soon as I make the migration.

Thank you sooooo much. 

Best regards

Gararda
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michal,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. We all have the same idea, but you are more accurate than me.

Thank you┬б┬б

Gararda
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have migrated all the APs with the procedures you gave me and all went perfect┬б┬б

Thank you so much.