5168 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM760 Controller Software update path from 5.4.2

clarkg
Occasional Visitor

MSM760 Controller Software update path from 5.4.2

Hello ,

We are using an MSM760 Premium Mobility controller that has not been updated for quite some time and I would like to correctly update it and the access points to the most current release.  We have 50 MSM422 access points currently being managed by this controller.  We attempted to connect an MSM430 access point, but it doesn't support the current firmware.  

Since it is so far behind, I'm reluctant to upgrade the software because I do not know the update path to get to the current release.  Is it possible to update to the most recent version without doing incremental updates to 5.5, 5.6, 5.7 etc.  Does anyone have any experience as to how much downtime I should expect?  Since this installation is in a hospital and is 24/7 operation, I would like to provide the staff with a good idea on how long the devices with be unavailable to the network. 

Firmware version: 5.4.2.47-01-9666 Hardware revision: B:48

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
RamKrish
Valued Contributor

Re: MSM760 Controller Software update path from 5.4.2

Hi

Its BEST to upgrade incrementaly.  If you want to stay with 5.x.x branch.  Then you would at least 2 fold upgrade: This should take anywhere between 20-30 mins for each upgrade if all the APs are managed locally (within the same L2 network or L3 network)

first upgrade to latest 5.5.x release

then moved to latest 5.7.x release (this is the latest on this branch)

If you want to move to 6.x release

1. upgrade to latest 5.5.x release

2. upgrade to latest 5.7.x release

3. upgrade to latest 6.2.x release

4. Finally upgrade to latest 6.5.3.0 release (this is the latest in this branch)

Regards
Ram
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Interesting topic.

Ran, what problem can occur if you do not upgrade incrementally?

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

The last release is not HP Mobility Software V6.6.0.0?

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
RamKrish
Valued Contributor

6.6.0.x is the latest release - but its just been there for a while, i would typically recommend the maintenance release unless if someone is looking for new featurse on the 6.6.x (simplified webgui mgmt..etc).

Why incremental upgrade: 

1. first of all from5.4 direct to 6.5/6.6 is not supported, as you would need to be minimum running 5.7.5.0 or 6.0.3.0 (refer to release note)

2. with every major release (5.4 to 5.5 to 5.6...so on), there are new features added and some old settings are modified, so its best advised to move incrementaly to get proper configuration inheritance from some major releases before moving to another major release.

Regards
Ram