M and MSM Series
1752799 Members
6166 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Teaming two MSM 760 problem

gessed

Teaming two MSM 760 problem

Hi i have two MSM 760 mobillity controller that i want to join in a team.

I have setup the first controller as the team manager and that seems to go good. After that i join the second controller to the team and after the reboot the status of the second controller is constantly switching from uploading configuration to resetting configuration.

The firmware version of both controller is: 5.7.0.3-11516

In the filtered log i see:

Date Level Program Message Jul 12 14:38:12 err mscconf Detail: <error><errorcode>1009</errorcode><errorinfo>Invalid route parameter</errorinfo></error> Jul 12 14:38:12 err mscconf SOAP FAULT: SOAP-ENV:Client "Invalid configuration" Jul 12 14:38:12 err mscconf [00:21:F7:B0:85:84] Error configuring slave msc Jul 12 14:37:34 err mscconf Detail: <error><errorcode>1009</errorcode><errorinfo>Invalid route parameter</errorinfo></error> Jul 12 14:37:34 err mscconf SOAP FAULT: SOAP-ENV:Client "Invalid configuration" Jul 12 14:37:34 err mscconf [00:21:F7:B0:85:84] Error configuring slave msc Jul 12 14:36:56 err mscconf Detail: <error><errorcode>1009</errorcode><errorinfo>Invalid route parameter</errorinfo></error> Jul 12 14:36:56 err mscconf SOAP FAULT: SOAP-ENV:Client "Invalid configuration" Jul 12 14:36:56 err mscconf [00:21:F7:B0:85:84] Error configuring slave msc Jul 12 14:36:18 err mscconf Detail: <error><errorcode>1009</errorcode><errorinfo>Invalid route parameter</errorinfo></error> Jul 12 14:36:18 err mscconf SOAP FAULT: SOAP-ENV:Client "Invalid configuration" Jul 12 14:36:18 err mscconf [00:21:F7:B0:85:84] Error configuring slave msc Jul 12 14:35:40 err mscconf Detail: <error><errorcode>1009</errorcode><errorinfo>Invalid route parameter</errorinfo></error> Jul 12 14:35:40 err mscconf SOAP FAULT: SOAP-ENV:Client "Invalid configuration" Jul 12 14:35:40 err mscconf [00:21:F7:B0:85:84] Error configuring slave msc Jul 12 14:35:02 err mscconf Detail: <error><errorcode>1009</errorcode><errorinfo>Invalid route parameter</errorinfo></error> Jul 12 14:35:02 err mscconf SOAP FAULT: SOAP-ENV:Client "Invalid configuration" Jul 12 14:35:02 err mscconf [00:21:F7:B0:85:84] Error configuring slave msc

Can someone help me out

Greetings

15 REPLIES 15
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: Teaming two MSM 760 problem

Hi Two controller country must be usa Please test and say me result
cenk

james555

we have 765 and its a nightmare with the team enabled. well at least i think that is when most issues occur. normally random access points refuse to give out the dhcp leases and i know the server is fine as lan people and other AP's are fine. i must say the new release is more stable than the beta but still far from perfect

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,

Do they both share the same VLAN for their LAN port?

Do they both have the same next-hop default gateway?

Are the clocks synchronized to an external time source?

Seen quite a few thing stopping the team from forming properly. Bit more of a black art than a science I'm afraid.

Cheers

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Joe_NITEC
Advisor

Have you already buily the full configuration on your Team manager?

If so then im afraid i have bad news for you - we are having the same issue and  we have just had feedback from HP that you should only apply a very basic configuration to your controllers and then team them - this means that if you have already fully configured the manager you will need to blow it away.

If you havent then from your error messages it looks like you havent set up the same routes and vlans on the secondary controller - the networking setup need to be the same in regards to routes etc or the config will not take.

Just out of interest what is the purpose of teaming - im assuming redundancy here - and you are aware of the limitations that it imposes on the setup?

Joe

tschaps
Valued Contributor

@Joe_NITEC wrote:

Just out of interest what is the purpose of teaming - im assuming redundancy here - and you are aware of the limitations that it imposes on the setup?

I am curious what limitations you are referring to. Off the top of my head, with teaming you cannot use the controller(s) for DHCP, and you can't use the GMS (guest mgt software). My vendor set us up teamed, and it's been anything but trouble-free, but I am curious what all I might be missing...

Thanks

Joe_NITEC
Advisor

You also cant use the built in web server  - can be a pain if you already have the config etc built and then want to team and still use HTML login for guest access - you need an external web server.

the DHCP thing caught us out to be honest - and then so did the GMS - particualrly bad as this was a key component that we were planning on using for guest access.

we are having some issues as well which we are currently working through but I am increasingly of the opinion that teaming is not worth the hassle in most cases - that is my personal opinion by the way.

tschaps
Valued Contributor

I am beginning to agree -- though with two controllers for failover, without the teaming I'd have to make changes to two controller configs each time there's a change, right?

Joe_NITEC
Advisor

thats correct - although you could simply make the change, backup the config and then upload it to your backup controller -you couldnt have them both on the LAN at the same time anyway so I dont really see any difficulties in having one powered on and waiting with the same config as the other controller until it fails.

It would be a manual switchover which isnt ideal if you are 24/7/365

Another possible issue is that you would not be able to share the base licences across the 2 controllers which is something good that you get from teaming

tschaps
Valued Contributor

@Joe_NITEC wrote:

Another possible issue is that you would not be able to share the base licences across the 2 controllers which is something good that you get from teaming

Hmmm.... I think my vendor may have screwed that up. I believe I have two full licenses and I know I have an additional 40 clients for each MSM765 (currently have 61 APs) so each could manage 80. Sounds like we may have spent a bunch of money we didn't need to if the intention was teaming?