1748157 Members
4147 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sendmail.cf with file

robert sears_1
Contributor

sendmail.cf with file

I haxe attached my sendmail.cf file. Somewhere amongst the code is a setting allowing an open relay. Accordinf to what I have read in the "Sendmail" bat book, all versions of Sendmail 8.x.x and higher, by default dissallow open relays. I am not sure where in my config file the let everyone through statement is. Email should only be accepted if the user exist in the alias file, correct? I would gratly appreciate any help on closing this open relay.
Sears
5 REPLIES 5
Berlene Herren
Honored Contributor

This configuration file is version
DZ8.8.5

What is the output of
#sendmail -bs?

This is the part of the configuration file you need
## BEGIN anti-spamming
## file containing full e-mail addresses of well-known spammers
#F{Spammer} /etc/mail/Spammer

## file containing domains of well-known spammers
#F{SpamDomains} /etc/mail/SpamDomains

## file containing IP numbers of machines which can use our relay
#F{LocalIP} /etc/mail/LocalIP

## file containing names of machines which can use our relay
#F{LocalNames} /etc/mail/LocalNames

## file containing names we relay to
#F{RelayTo} /etc/mail/RelayTo

## file containing IP address of hosts denied access to this mail server
#F{DeniedIP} /etc/mail/DeniedIP

## file containing names of hosts denied access to this mail server.
#F{DeniedNames} /etc/mail/DeniedNames
## END anti-spamming

I don't see it at 8.8.5, but the above is from 8.8.6.
Check /usr/newconfig/etc/mail/sendmail.cf for it's version, and if it is 8.8.6, then replace the 8.8.5 with that one.

Berlene
http://www.mindspring.com/~bkherren/dobes/index.htm
Douglas Cromby_1
Valued Contributor

Sendmail 8.8.6 (and presumably lower) allow relaying by default. Sendmail 8.9.3 is the opposite, and does not allow relaying by default.
Douglas Cromby_1
Valued Contributor

I have done some more checking. HP's sendmail jumped from 8.7.1 straight to 8.8.6. In 8.8.6 there are specific anti-spamming measures that can be taken based on things like hostname, ip address and domain. If possible you may want to try and upgrade the version of sendmail to get these features.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

on 8.9.3 I went to /usr/newconfig/etc/mail/cf/cf
and executed the gen_cf script. And that made a new sendmail.cf file. Just move it to /etc.mail.
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

I would like to second the 8.8.X and prior versions DO NOT have anti-spam features, and are wide open for relay. Check with HP for the patch number, but there was a patch released last January or February to upgrade Sendmail to 8.9.3

This is the first version allowing anti-spam features, ACL's for relay and many other nice features.

You CAN NOT make rules prior to 8.9.1 for anti-spam. 8.9.1 and 8.9.2 are pretty buggy, which is why HP only supports 8.9.3 for HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?