1748180 Members
4026 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP exam "Implementing HP StorageWorks EVA"

ivan_sapegin

HP exam "Implementing HP StorageWorks EVA"

Hi! Please help me to answer on two questions:

1. What is "VDisk family"? At what moment it is created?
2. What is iSCSI initiator (see attached picture)? iSCSI driver?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Ivan,

when you create a snapshot a vdisk family is created. The iSCSI initiator is located on the server, to which a vdisks is presented by iSCSI. The storage system is the iSCSI target.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
ivan_sapegin

Patrick,

1. one VDisk, without snapshots, is not VDisk family?
2. yes, iSCSI initiator located on the host, but that it was? iSCSI driver, SCSI Generic, NIC driver? see attached picture from 1st message pls...

Thank you!
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

AFAIK is a Vdisk famaliy created, when a Vdisks has at least one snap. The snap belongs to the Vdisks and can't exist without a parent Vdisk.

The iSCSI Initiator is located above the NIC driver. I think it's the iSCSI driver in you picture.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

In older versions, the "vdisk family" was always visible and the vdisk itself was named "ACTIVE", but I don't see it in CV-EVA V6.0.2 (which I right now have access to). And I don't see a 'family' appear when a snapshot is created.

The term 'family' and the "ACTIVE" object are still present in the output of the Storage System Scripting Utility (SSSU), though.

Indeed, in the picture "iSCSI driver" refers to a "Software iSCSI initiator", but you could enhance the right adapter and write "SCSI or iSCSI or FC HBA". In that case, "iSCSI HBA" is a "Hardware iSCSI initiator" and the "iSCSI driver" function is part of that element.
susanta_dutta
Trusted Contributor

Hi Ivan,

I have few sample qtns(attached) for this exam, you may find it useful

Regards
Susanta