My Learning Certification
1752839 Members
3872 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Self-study materials for Networking AIS & ASE?

SOLVED
Go to solution
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Self-study materials for Networking AIS & ASE?

Hi there,

When Rebekah Harvey came on the packetpushers.net podcast, she said that self-study materials would be arriving soon.  Have any such materials arrived for networking AIS & ASE qualifications?  I am studying for my AIS now, and i must admit to being very disappointed at the self-study options available.

Thanks,

Paul

Regards,
Paul
11 REPLIES 11
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

P.S. I have seen that the exam prep guide has been updated, and i'm glad to see practice questions & answers have been added, but my comments above still stand.
Regards,
Paul
SeanaAtHP
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Paul,

To purchase the self-study materials associated with the ILTs, visit  http://learningpartnerconnection.com/coursemanuals.  You should find the self-study materials for the certification exams you are interested in.

Thank you for joining the community!  Best wishes for success on your exams and certification,

SeanaAtHP
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Seana. I wonder that i didn't find any links to that previously... I've bookmarked it and will probably come back later when i do my ASE. I don't want to sink that sort of money into my AIS.
Regards,
Paul
HPSE3434
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Any courseware materials for ASE Implementing Proliant Servers ML/DL Servers for HP0-S26 exam?

Thanks!

cloudHopper9
Occasional Contributor

Hi, great link. Is there any discount for HP employees? or could i get this information via a different route?

chrisuk85
Occasional Advisor

I also feel that trying to find information about these courses is way too difficult. Will there be any proper books for AIS Networking?

Considering there are no labs with the AIS Networking course notes, and no emulator to practice on, it doesn't seem to offer much value for money...especially when you can get an up to date Cisco press book for £20 and use a free emulator for labs.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

I thought i'd throw in a few quick comments.  Since i started this thread, i've sat and passed my AIS exam.  All i can say is that if you have a year's experience in working on the CLI with E-series and 3 months with A-series, and you follow through the outline in the exam preparation guide, you should pass.  I got 85% on the exam with about 30 hours preparation over a 6-week period, and i did it without ever running MSTP on my network or ever seeing an E-MSM wireless product (even though there are questions about them on the exam).

I plan on blogging a bit on my experiences with this certification when i get an opportunity, but suffice it to say it was easier than i expected, and if you focus on practical implementation of the content in the outline in the EPG, you should have no problems.

Regards,

Paul

Regards,
Paul
chrisuk85
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the extra info Paul.

I am a 3Com guy when it comes to networking...we have a lot of 3Com 4800Gs (these run Comware though are classed as E series), which seem to have both E and A series features (and now the A5500 actually runs the same software image as the E4800)..

I have looked at the updated exam prep guide...and I see it's not just ComWare... I have never used ProVision, and we have no actual HP switches...so I guess AIS is not going to be very easy :(

I have around 3 years experience working with 3Com Layer 3 switches, with a focus on Voice. I hold previous certs for 3Com but want to get these updated on HP. I think though that my 3Com experience actually counts for HP A series now, rather than E. I also believe that due to my 3Com certs, I am eligible for the online upgrade exam. Does anybody know how I prove to HP that I hold the 3com certs? The old 3Com portal is gone, though I have paper copies.

How much of the exam was related to commands on the E series? The command structure is very different to Comware.

Your post is certainly encouraging though, so thanks for sharing :)

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

The AIS switching questions are about 60% ProVision and 40% Comware, so yes, you'll have to learn a lot of that. I started out with ProVision and have only recently implemented an IRF stack of A5500s, so it was about the right mix for me.

If you're working exclusively with the ex-3Com gear, i really question the value of an updated certification (unless you're looking for a new job... ;-) - it sounds like the level of the certification would not be a step up, but you would have the annoyance of having to learn a whole new command set.

From my perspective Comware has a much more feature-rich CLI, with a lot more L3 features, and is conceptually more similar to Cisco IOS than ProVision is, but tries to look different by using different terms for everything (e.g. show vs. display, write vs. save). I find the Comware interface unnecessarily complex in parts, especially VLAN and LACP setup.

I've got a different blog post about moving from ProVision to Comware switches half-drafted - i'll post that link here as well for you when i've completed it. Anyway, good luck whatever you decide to do.
Regards,
Paul