1753512 Members
5383 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Phones Won't Dial Out on Certain Analog Line Cards

SASPrinting
Occasional Advisor

Phones Won't Dial Out on Certain Analog Line Cards

We have a 3Com NBX v3000 with 3 analog line cards -- (2) 3C10114C and (1) 3C10600B -- and some of the extensions, particularly those on one of the two 3C10114C though I haven't figured out which one yet, won't dial out.

If someone picks up the phone, is connected to one of the disfunctional line cards, and dials a number, the last few digits of the number dialed are cut off/don't go through and of course the call doesn't happen. The call timer just goes up and up, the extension in use is displayed on the phones (3102), but that's it.

Any suggestions?

====================

EDIT: Running NBX version 6_0_63, if that helps. Also, I should add that, as a temporary fix, we used one of the phones to dial the extension of the problematic line cards and then put it on hold so that when someone is placing a call, their phone doesn't connect to that line card. I've had to do this daily since I started here back in January 2012.

EDIT: I've taken a photo of our line cards (see attachment), it case it helps any. I'm a noob with this phone system, so I'm all ears with this.

EDIT: I just noticed that of the 4 extensions on the line card that is giving us trouble, the 3 that won't dial out have a POTS state of 0x7 and the 1 that will dial out (but only after putting the other 3 on hold) has a POTS state of 0x1.

Trevor Joiner | Graphic Designer @ SAS Printing
8 REPLIES 8
Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

Re: Phones Won't Dial Out on Certain Analog Line Cards

Try rebooting the cpu or power-cycling the analog line card.

Also check the polarity on the analog lines (fix by reversing the blue and white-blue pairs).
SASPrinting
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the tip, Nintendo. I'll give that a try in just a bit when the production employees leave for the day and business starts to slow down.

I should add that, as a temporary fix, we used one of the phones to dial the extension of the problematic line cards and then put it on hold so that when someone is placing a call, their phone doesn't connect to that line card.

Also, we've had the power go out a number of times since I've been here. Phones go down with it, I believe. That would be the same as power-cycling, would it not? Just thought I'd mention that in case it helps.

SASPrinting
Occasional Advisor

I took screen shots of the "Status" tab for the 4 extensions of the analog line card that we're having the most trouble with. To lighten the frustration my co-workers have had with this system, I've given the problem lines funny names to show up on their phones. :P

See attachments.

SASPrinting
Occasional Advisor

Attached is a copy of our dial plan...

...if it helps.

Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

Have you swapped the lines from a problematic one to a good one? If it follows the line, it may be the lines from the CO.

The cards may be bad.

Is the system grounded?

By power-cycling it I mean did you try to do a shutdown, disconnect power and reconnect? Also definitely reboot the chassis with the line cards. It can't be shutdown, you just have to pull it's power.

Power outages could be corrupting the system. I'd take a backup every month once the system is fixed.

I don't really know enough about the NBX to figure out what the culprit is, sorry.

SASPrinting
Occasional Advisor

Pardon my ignorance, but how would I go about swapping the lines? This system and its maintenance was basically dumped on me when I was hired, even though I know nothing about phone systems and networking. I'm a graphic designer, but I do know how to assemble computer systems, so they assumed I must know networking and phones, too. :P

As for pulling the plug, yes, I did try that once about 2 months or so ago.

Can't say about grounding, though. You may have to guide me through that one. The whole system along with our network equipment (routers, switches, etc.) are surge-protected, though.

SASPrinting
Occasional Advisor

Port 3 of the line card seems to be the only one working. I've removed the line card at which point it was automatically detected and re-added. When it was back up and running with new extensions and names assigned, port 3 (MAC 00:e0:bb:XX:XX:XX[3]) was the only one that dials out. However, it's only selected by the phones when the two ports before it are in use.

SASPrinting
Occasional Advisor

I think we've found out the problem. Back in January, a division of the company that was sharing the phone system was split to become a separate business. When they did that, their phone numbers were ported over from DeltaCom (who we have now) to AT&T. It seems when that happened, the numbers left but the line card ports stayed.