New Discussion

Re: paging stopped working

SOLVED
Go to solution
greg24
Regular Advisor

paging stopped working

Hi,

We had to make a few changes to the network and it seems like we might have broken paging.  No one can remember when it last worked correctly so it might not have been the changes.  Multicast traffic has not been affected as the lights and time on the phones work correctly.  The phones can boot and calls are normal.  The NBX is running 6.5.22P03.  The phones are on the same layer 2 segment as the NBX.  Can you guide me in the direction of an answer please?

Thanks,

Are the 3C10402B phones still being made?  I called the results of a Google search but most places are sold out.  Those that had some only had 1 or 2 and are refurbished units. 

12 REPLIES 12
wsbcs01
Occasional Advisor

I would still make sure that multicast traffic is allowed by the switches. Lights and time seem to be less affected than paging and music on hold. What's the model of the the switches you are using?

Also make sure you have an appropriate free IP range defined under System-Wide Settings\IP Settings\IP Address Ranges

The 3C10402B is still being made (at least Tech Data is still selling them). Cost is $212 New. I had good luck with the new/refurbished units from EBAY sellers: 3comsuperstore and ictcompany

Let me know if this helps

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Just a clarification here.. HP is not making the 3101 or 3102 phones anymore..

They may have some left ,depending on the region you are in... if not, secondary market is the place to go.

Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

The setup for NBX music on hold is,

turn igmp query on on one switch, any switch

turn igmp snoop on on all switches

greg24
Regular Advisor

multicast is still on.  I am using 3Com 4400 switches with the latest firmware.  Each phone switch has an IP on the phone system network.  The phones do not have ip addresses anymore. 

My IP address range is 10.100.152.210-230.

The largest paging group has 27 phones in it.  Should I increase the range to 10.100.152.201-250?

We do not use music on hold.   Does your igmp commands still work for paging?

I will have to look into Tech Data.

Thanks,

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Best thing to do is to do a network trace while paging.

Then go to system-wide settings/multicast addresses and look for the

multicast address of paging in the trace... paging is 01:e0:bb:00:00:11 (224.0.1.55).. might

be different on your system....

take trace from nbx, see if it is coming out...

take trace from a phone and see if you are getting it there..

greg24
Regular Advisor

I plugged my sniffer into the NBX segment and I can see multicast traffic at 224.0.1.55 leaving the NBX.  The mac address is different than your example.

The most recent change was to disable the spanning tree protocol on all of the phone switches.  Could that have anything to do with this?  I am leaning towards no but I don't the NBX well enough to know for sure.

Thanks,

greg24
Regular Advisor

I moved the sniffer to a phone switch and tried paging again.  The sniffer is not seeing any multicast traffic.  The backbone switch is a 3Com 5500 and the phone switches are 4400s.  What should I be looking for?

greg24
Regular Advisor

I found old articles about paging problems and none have helped.  To recap:

NBX v5000

6.5.22P03

IP-on-the-fly

NO telephone has an IP address - everything is layer 2

NBX and 2 chassis are plugged into a 3Com 5500

All telephones are plugged into 3Com 4400 switches that uplink to the 5500 so everything is a part of the same vlan on the 5500

The 4400 switches have igmp snooping disabled

The 5500 has igmp snooping disabled

Thanks,

Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I didn't notice the question was about paging, not music on hold.

My post above was how to get music-on-hold working.