1747980 Members
4360 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: stting up a phone to work with a vpn network at a home

Bryan_Lawless
Advisor

stting up a phone to work with a vpn network at a home

ok my boss wants to set up a phone at his hous for are mbx100 system he has a vpn connation form his house to the compney how do i go about configer the phone so that it will work over the vpn if its even posble to do.

5 REPLIES 5
Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

You need a layer 2 tunnel that can pass multicast.

Bryan_Lawless
Advisor

is there anything on the phone that i need to change for it talk to the ncp controler 

merlin215
Valued Contributor

No .

Your IP settings will have to be set for the network . 

We do not support what is called NAT routing over the network ( Router to Router ) So the audio will nto work . You must set up a tunnel like the previous post suggests , but it has to be a hardware , not a software VPN . Multicast will have to be set up as a GRE tunnel in order to pass it back and forth on your tunnel  , lites , time and date display for 2 examples ....

Just an FYI :  PCXSet will work across a software VPN with no tunnel ( hardware solution ) needed . A hard phone needs the tunnel due tot he restrictions listed above . it is not recommended to put your whole NBX outside of the Network either as you want some sort of protection against hacking etc . 

Bryan_Lawless
Advisor

should not be to hard then he has a cisco/linksys that he is using for a vpn from work to home.

merlin215
Valued Contributor

OK , good luck ...