Netservers
1753318 Members
7334 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: E-60 frequent power off

Drazen_3

E-60 frequent power off

Year ago I have post my problem here. Even direct contact to HP support, never solved my problem.
Month ago problem was isolated and solved. Thought that could be helpfull to someone else.

Simptoms: E-60 was switching power off without any visible reason. Switching on was possible after disconecting power cord for 15 secs.
After time I have noticed that this happen by intesive network trafic like file copy or printing. However, never happened with CPU intesive work or disks work.
So, it was that: network card!!!
I have disabled integrated NIC and new PCI NIC installed. Since then "power off" case never happened again.
Regards, Drazen
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Young_2
Trusted Contributor

Hi Drazen,

Thanks for the tip. Just a question: Did you ever flash the BIOS for the server and update the onboard NIC drivers in your OS?

I'm just wondering if maybe that could have solved the problem as well.

Thanks

mark
Drazen_3

According my records BIOS never flashed. OS changed several times. from Netware 5.0, SPs, to NW 6.0SP2.
From the begining of using new E60, internal NIC was disabled, and 3 NICS where added (because of coax-BNC cabling needs). Later as network grow, those NICS where kicked out, and original NIC took a place. Seems that problem started with that point. Just wasn't significant at the start. Became more frequent with the time.
I believe that this have nothing with the BIOS or drivers. Never got single message or log. I'have run HP diag. Possible errors log checked. Netware never aware of what happen, except that server was stopped.
As mentioned in first post, trafic over NIC caused power off. This was tested. Also I did tests forcing load at the server itself, processor, coping of huge data quantity localy... Those operations never caused the power off.

I have to mention here an accident happenned before. In the time when 3 COAX/BNC NICs where in function, one NIC where burned out by thunder-lighting, came over the coax cable. Still visible burned small area at the PCI slot where burned segment had been connected. This slot became unuseful after that. But, after replacing NIC (and placing it into another slot) server continue to work perfect. In fact thunder didn't afect server!!!
Drazen
Mark Young_2
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Well you seem to have a workaround that is working for you. I would wager however that by clearing CMOS and then flashing to the latest BIOS, you may fix the problem with the onboard NIC. Anytime you have a systemboard with onboard components, the BIOS for that system board addresses everything on it. There are sure to be updates for the NIC in the BIOS, especially if your problem was a known issue with HP.

Mark
Drazen_3

Thank you Mark,
I will keep that in my mind.
Don't have time to waste on BIOS flashing now. E-60 working perfect indeed.

Guess all discussion worth. It is valuable for other NET servers too.

Drazen