1753508 Members
5042 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing a New Processor

Jonathan Tooze
Occasional Contributor

Installing a New Processor

I am trying to find information regarding installation of a second processor, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have an LH3 with a P500 and I would like to install another P500.

Thank you.
I'm an ASP Guru damn it so ask me some questions
4 REPLIES 4
Joe Colucci_1
Frequent Advisor

Jonathon,

What kind of information are you looking for? You can find the product number on the processor you currently have installed.
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

The physical install is trivial: take the usual anti-static precautions and simply plug in the 2nd processor and Voltage Regulator Module.
But....You will probably have to reinstall the OS to recognize and use the 2nd processor.
Ed Fantini

Indeed - plug in the regulator and Processor and BIOS will take it from there. I'm running Win2K Pro, and it did not see the new processor, even after SP2.
I'll be reloading the OS soon.
Hook me up big time
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

Hi!
If you are running Win2K you dont have to reload (reinstall) OS in order to make it to see second processor. Go to device manager, expand computer. If you have installed OS with one processor you will probably se "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" driver. Select it and in propertis select driver tab driver. There you can select update driver. This action will install multiprocesor HAL if you have two processors now. You need to restart server after that. Windows NT 4.0 requires different and very complicated procedure.