1748051 Members
4985 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LC 2000 reinstalled, now Windows 98 clients can't access

Penny Reed
Advisor

LC 2000 reinstalled, now Windows 98 clients can't access

I'm almost at wits end with what would seem to be an easy problem to fix, yet ...

This server's primary purpose is to store data from several different computers. The supervisor didn't like the way the raid was set up so took it upon himself to reinstall the server from scratch. Now the windows 98 clients can't access this server to map the network drive back.

I have no history of how this server was set up initially, but the windows 98 clients used to be able to access it, now they can't.

In windows explorer the windows 98 machines can see this server, they can even ping the server just fine, but if they double click on it in explorer they get "Can't access". In the command prompt they get error 53.

I notice in the control panel | Network | properties on this server only has the "General tab". The "Sharing" and "Authentication" tabs aren't there.

That might not be the problem, but to tell the truth I don't know what else to look at. HELP.

I downloaded the W2K drivers from this site, but it's not specified what drivers are included in the executable.
7 REPLIES 7
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like this server is/was in a workgroup and the username/password that the 98 machines are using to access the share is gone...

Just resetup the share and access for those machines

Oguz Kutlu  Asik
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try to add a local user account with the computer name of windows98 machine.
And try if you can connect with \\ipaddress\share instead of \\servername\share
because Error 53 is mostly a wins/dns issue.

Finally, if LanMan authentication is disabled, you may experience problems
Check if registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel is equal to 5 (LanMan disabled)
What's right is right, whether or not God exists
Chad Miller_5
Trusted Contributor

In Explorer, got to tools, folder options, view, and uncheck simple file sharing. This will enable the security tabs. As mentioned, you'll need to set up the shares again.

Also, is the partition NTFS? If not, then you can not take advantage of the security features NTFS offers. If FAT32, you can convert from a command prompt using:
covert C: /FS:NTFS

Because users and groups use a UID (Unique ID) when created, if you delete a user or group (such as reinstalling the OS) and then re-create them, the UID will be different. Even though you use the exact same name in the new install, the previous 98 clients username/password combo will no longer work. Give them the password of the new account.

There are 2 modes that 2000 can run in with regard to networking. Native and Mixed. You'll want to be in mixed mode so non 2000/XP/NT clients (9x) are compatible.

Do the 9x systems have TCP/IP installed? Maybe they were using NetBIOS before? NetBIOS is not installed be default in 2000 I recall. Are they on the same domain or workgroup? PINGing only ensures proper gateway. Just because you can ping does not mean the system is on the same domain or workgroup thus making network sharing more difficult or impossible.

The old server probably had DHCP and DNS or at least supplied these IPs to the clients. Check the 9x systems for DNS. If they have no DNS address, you'll need to set this up manually, or set up DHCP on the new server to deliver appropriate DNS addresses to the clients. Since your 2000/XP clients seem to connect OK, this is probably not the issue, but worth looking into.

Chad
Penny Reed
Advisor

The username/password used to log into these windows 98 machines are part of the group which is given specific permissions to the share on the server. They are logging into the domain, and this server is part of that domain.

This particular servers only purpose is to store the data from these windows 98 clients, it is not a domain controller, nor does it supply the clients with an IP address.

How can I tell whether this server is running in Native or mixed mode?

Chad Miller_5
Trusted Contributor

The native and mixed mode refers to the domain type. Since this is not a domain controller (DC), then it's not applicable to your situation. The domain mode would be configured on one of the DCs. I believe this is done through Active Directory (AD) in the Server Configuration Dialog in Admin tools. Sorry, I assumed it was a DC you were installing. We'll also assume that the domain type, which is probably mixed, did not change recently.

So, verify me this:

> Your server's FS is NTFS?
> Default NTFS permissions are everyone/full and you have not changed that? Since your accessing the share over the network, technically, NTFS permissions don't have affect, only share permissions matter, but...
> 2000/XP clients can view the shares just fine?
> Your 9x clients are logging onto the DOMAIN?
> For the share(s) you created, you added the group(s) or users of the 9x DOMAIN accounts and NOT from the local Users/groups area on the server?
> From a 9x system, can the administrator\password account access the share?
> Error 53 typically means name a resolution problem. Did you try \\xx.xx.xx.xx\sharename from a prompt as suggested above?

It would probably be a good idea to install SP4 if you have not already...

Let me know how it goes.

Chad
Chad Miller_5
Trusted Contributor

PS RE Domain Modes:

To change the domain mode:

1. Open Active Directory Domains and Trusts (From a DC)
2. Right-click the domain node for the domain you want to administer, and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab, click Change Mode, and then click Yes.

Caution: Do not change domain mode if you have or will have any Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers. You can only change the mode from mixed mode to native mode. Once a domain is running in native mode, it cannot be changed back to mixed mode.

I've read that the Domain mode can affect 9x clients, but it's mostly to do with NT PDCs and BDCs. I don't think this is an issue in your case however.
Penny Reed
Advisor

Hooray!!! I stayed logged in as the domain user and from the command prompt typed in the IP address\share name and that worked!!

Here's what ended up fixing the problem though. Since this server has a static IP address, it's not looking at DHCP. I added a WINS entry (there wasn't one) on this server with the IP address of the domain controller and suddenly all windows 98 machines can all see this server through explorer.

Thank all of you for all your help!!!