108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LC3 Hard Drive has no power light

SOLVED
Go to solution
e4services
Honored Contributor

LC3 Hard Drive has no power light

We have an LC3 with one current hard drive in the first hot swap bay. No problems. We have added 2 more drives in the other slots. The drives spin up, activity lamp wink, but the power lamp never iluminates. THe first drive still is workin fine and the power lamp is on.

When booting the SCSI firmware reports the first drive but not the new drives and will boot and operate normally. here is the situation/configuration details:

-The hot swap cage is attached to the onboard Adaptec controller, model AIC-7880 (7870?).
-Installed the new hard drive with and without the old drives in there."no scsi devices detected" after "scanning for scsi devices".
-The old hard drives function with no problem with a new one in there.
-All drives have unique scsi ids, as the jumper on the drive cage is set as default, 1,0,3, and the adapter is using id 7.
There is no other scsi device connected.
-The left ???power??? lamp fails to go on with the new drives in any of the three drive locations, i.e. even in the old drives location. The right activity lamp goes on when the drive is spinning up, and then goes off, which seems normal.
-reseated all the cables connected to the backplane, and there does not appear to be significant corrosion on the connectors.
-tried running the utility on the diagnostics disk, running the motherboard test, and the 3-minute scsi test with no problems listed.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
4 REPLIES 4
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: LC3 Hard Drive has no power light

hello,

the disk product number was not mentioned but i have seen this issue before a while ago and at that time with those disks we had the following problem:

the issue is that the disks are missing two jumpers and in order to add the jumpers you need to remove the hotswap mounting bracket. I'll draw the jumper block below

connector J2
------------

reserved . .
reserved . .
reserved . .
parity disable . .
write protect . .
motorstart enable . .
delay motor start . . <- these 2
force single ended . . <- jumpers are
missing

hope this matches your problem, the issues you saw are at least the same ones and the disk hotwap chassis is the SF-1 type which also matches.

regards, Kris
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Attached a picture of a good and a bad disk

Kris
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

second picture,this is a good disk.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the response. I seemed to remember trying this before and it worked. When we get a chance to test it I wil post the results here. I did read a bit about the setting at Seagate. The Motor Start jumper may work also, which waits for the controller to command a spin up. The Delay, delays a set time multiplied by the SCSI ID number, so each drive starts at a different time.
Hot Swap Hard Drives