108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LH 6000 hangs on boot with gigabit NIC's

SOLVED
Go to solution
Torolf Haug
Occasional Contributor

LH 6000 hangs on boot with gigabit NIC's

I have a HP LH 6000, and I've recently tried to install a new gigabit NIC. So far I've tried two, with the same results. First was a HP NC7770, and also a NC1020. Both hang the server on boot showing the Ethernet boot agent. Hitting CTRL-S to go to the boot agent setup, or hitting F2 does not work. Nothing of substance appears in the server event log. After I remove the card, it boots fine. I have tried it in several slots, and still have not gotten it to work.

Anyone have any ideas? Next will be to try a NIC from another manufacturer.
3 REPLIES 3
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Torolf,

Here is the list of tested and supported NICs in the LH6000. The NC7770 is not listed and is PCI-x based, I don't believe any of the tested NIC's listed are PCI-x.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpn14209&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=74580&prodTypeId=15351

HTH
Greg
Lets Roll!
Torolf Haug
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. The only reason that I thought that the cards would work is that the same card was placed in older NetServers with no problems, an ancient LD Pro and a LH II, both without any problems.

The NC1020, the other NIC that I just tried, also has the same problem, even though it is a standard PCI 33/66 Mhz card.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would suggest to made a clear cmos in order to clear resources reservation before to add new pci card, this can solve specialy on test servers, where you try several different card in several different slots.
perss F11 when aske dfor F2 at boot time in order to access advanced menu with the clear cmos function

marino