5442 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LH3 Slow boot.

Stephen Salmon
Occasional Advisor

LH3 Slow boot.

Hi there.

A freind of mine has an LH3 which has suddenly gone from booting up nice and quickly to taking approx 10 minutes to load windows.

It checks the ram. The waits for ages. It does the same with SCSI devices and after the Bios revision screen.

I suggested to him that maybe he has bad ram but there are no errors reported.

Any suggestions? Bios upgrade?

Thanks
Steve
6 REPLIES 6
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: LH3 Slow boot.

Have them check for loose connections: disk cables, network, etc...

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

Are they getting 0080 0090 errors on post? Have them try and update the BIOS, if possible. Also, clearing CMOS might be something to try.
Chris Blumenshine
Trusted Contributor

Slow boot is a symptom of mmc issues, even if you don't have the mmc errors on post. One resolution would be to clear the mmc by unplugging the server for 2+ minutes and trying it again. Newer system bios will prevent the problem from occuring again.
There's always room for J-E-L-L-O
Adam_34
Occasional Advisor

check the termination :

maybe Symbios SCSI bus is not terminated
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
If the boot time is slow on all the fase of the post, I think that Chris is right, a managment problem may be the cause.
Removing the power cable some time is not enouth, you need also to disconnect the Lan cable, serial or parallel connections, any other connection that can keep a pull-up signal on the pci bus.
this will clear the volatil memory of the managment and clear the problem (I hope)
bye

marino
I_M
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In my case, I had similar server. ooting slower and also selftest takes so long time but no errors.

I had called HP to repair it.
After so long time trouble shoot session, the engineer found co-processor of the Pentium was bad. Of course, we can not replace the co-processor only, the engineer rplace Pen2(slot1).

This is my 2cents.