Netservers
1748246 Members
3528 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LH3000 Failed BIOS upgrade, lost keyboard

Steve Saunders

LH3000 Failed BIOS upgrade, lost keyboard

Hi! During a BIOS upgrade on an LH3000, the MMC and RA flashed successfully, but I had an unexpected power outage when the BIOS portion was ready to flash. When I rebooted the server, I had no keyboard or mouse, although keyboard lights were on and the server OS detected the hardware. I got a serial mouse to work, but still no kbd. I have been told by HP support to clear CMOS, but I have no assurance that the keyboard will come back, so I won't be able to hit F2 to save config. Is there a way to create a BIOS boot disk that doesn't require keyboard input, or is there a way to recover my keyboard without clearing CMOS? Anyone else had a similar problem?
2 REPLIES 2
Marco Hogeveen
Honored Contributor

Re: LH3000 Failed BIOS upgrade, lost keyboard

Steve,

There is a way to recover from a failed BIOS upgrade.
To perform a BIOS recovery:
-Create a BIOS update diskette
-Power down the HP NetServer and gain access to the system board assembly.
-On the system board, set the Boot Block switch (Switch 7), on the configuration switch, from OFF to ON.
-Replace the system board assembly.
-Place the previously created BIOS Update diskette into the floppy drive of the HP Netserver and power up the HP Netserver.
-The flash program on the diskette will re-program the BIOS into the HP Netserver.
-When the flash programming is completed, power down the HP Netsrver.
-Gain access to the system board assembly and set the Boot Block switch (Switch 7) from ON to OFF
-Replace the system board assembly in the HP Netserver and replace all covers.
-Power on the HP Netserver in the normal manner.

This should get your keyboard and PS2 mouse back to work!

Marco.
Steve Saunders

Re: LH3000 Failed BIOS upgrade, lost keyboard

Hi Marco, thanks for the info. The problem turned out to be a faulty front control panel module.. keyboard lock button malfunctioned and LED was burned out. HP just got done replacing it and I am up and running. Funny thing, the HP guy said that the control panel device was junk. Go figure...