1754238 Members
2904 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LP2000 Fan Failures

Robby Bryant
Occasional Contributor

LP2000 Fan Failures

We had maintenance downtime this week and I had 3 (yes, 3) fans fail in our LP2000 servers. 1 had dual processors and the other 2 were singles. In each case, the fan sitting over the CPU is what failed. We had brought these servers down and powered them off. Stayed down about an hour, and powered them up. In each case, the fan physically burned itself up...wow....what a smell. It looks like a design flaw in fan placement on these boxes. Anyone else having this problem and if so, how often? We have had 5 fail in 3 1/2 months.
4 REPLIES 4
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: LP2000 Fan Failures

Robby,

Call for support on your LP2000 CPU blower failures and they can evaluate your situation. There were some LP2000's with fan failure possibilities. Obviously you don't want a smoking server so call in for warranty support.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Ricardo Rocha
Valued Contributor

Hi

There are some known issues concerning the cpu fans on the LP2000r netservers. The only thing to do is to call HP support and they will replace the CPU blowers. Downtime estimated is 10 minutes....

Bye
"there is this old man who spent so much of his life sleeping that he is able to keep awake for the rest of his years"
Xavier Gutierrez_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Be sure that you get the BIOS flashed to the latest version at the same time you get the FAN/FANS replaced, because if you don't, the problem will appear again.

Best regards.
Glenn Summerbell

My experience mirrors your own. I have 5 LP2000r servers all purchased @18 months ago (consequtive serial numbers). Of the five, four have suffered fan failures. One of them has had two failures and like you, three of them failed at the same time.

The fifth server hasn't failed yet... but then it was deployed about 5 months later than the other four so I guess it's only a matter of time.

HP try and insist that it's a BIOS reporting fault and that the fans haven't really failed when you call them. In all cases my machines suffered genuine fan failures.

I am quite disturbed that HP has not been more pro-active in dealing with this issue. All my servers are registered and covered under 3 year 24x7 6 hour fix support packs.