1748073 Members
4696 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LX Pro not booting from CD

Adrian_47
Occasional Contributor

LX Pro not booting from CD

I've just got hold of an Lxe Pro with 2 x Pro 200 CPU's.
For some reason it recognises the SCSI CD as being conencted to the host controller A but it won't boot.
Any ideas ? am I doing something stupid?

Cheers
Adrian
2 REPLIES 2
Joe Short
Super Advisor

Re: LX Pro not booting from CD

When I first brought it home, my PX Pro was behaving in a very similar fashion. Mine has a NetRAID card in it, and by moving that card into PCI slot 1 I was able to get it to boot. If you have a netRAID card, give this a try.
Hope I was able to help.

Joe
Mark Medici
Advisor

Re: LX Pro not booting from CD

Make sure the SCSI ID 5 (five) on the CD drive, and that no other devices on the same channel are using ID 5. This is REQUIRED. To accomodate this, the SCSI hot-plug cages can be configured to skip ID 5 by changing a dipswitch on the back of the cage. But for testing purposes, disconnect everything but the CD and terminator from the cable and make sure the CD is at SCSI ID 5.

Make certain there is a SCSI terminator at the end of the cable. The CD drive does not provide termination. However, the hotswap harddisk cage will provide termination.

While you're inside the server, reseat the power cable and both ends of the SCSI cable to the CD drive. Also check the SCSI cable for any damage.

If the above doesn't work, try clearing CMOS. I believe it's switch #5 on the 8-position dip switch block system board, but its been ages since I've been inside an LX Pro. In any event, the swith is marked. Then completely unplug the system from AC for 15 minutes to allow the management controller to reset.

When the system starts up again, go into the CMOS configuration and check the boot order to ensure the CDROM has a higher boot priority than all other devices.

If none of the above works, you probably have a bad CD. Not really a big deal, since you can get a new 12X SCSI drive for under $40 (www.pricewatch.com).

I remember these machines being pretty finicky about booting when there's problems with the CMOS config. Once you do have it running, make sure to flash the BIOS & firmware with the latest versions, and clear CMOS / reset MMC afterwards.