1751942 Members
4892 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NIC Installation on LH Pro

Mike Kelly
Occasional Contributor

NIC Installation on LH Pro

I'm hoping somebody can help me. I've been unable to establish basic network connectivity with an LH Pro. I've tried several NIC's (3Com 3C905C-TX-M, 3C905B-TX, 3C900-Combo), all PCI bus cards. Regardless of the slot installed in (I've tried 5,7,8,9), I am unable to ping any other computer on the network (error = Destination host unreachable), and no other computer is able to ping it (error = Request timed out). The LH Pro is running Win 2000 Advanced Server with Service Pack 2, and other than this NIC issue, everything else is working fine.

Can anybody recommend a NIC and PCI slot combination running under Win 2000 Server that is working for you/them? Any other ideas would be welcome. Thanks-

Mike Kelly
mikekelly20@home.co
2 REPLIES 2
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: NIC Installation on LH Pro

i
on the netserver lh there is no known issue, try the basics trubleshootings, is the led "link" lighted?, if no, there is a cable/switch/hub problem,
have you run eisa config after installing the card, did the adapter appear in the lis of added devices under the >view add detail ?
is the driver installed without problems? dit you be able to correctly specify the ip number and subnet mask?
Are you on the same segment of the lan than the server when you try to ping?
If you use the hp card (D5013), you will install the hp drivers and found on the desktop the HPSET utility, that let you perform somes test about config and connectivity.
bye
marino
Eugen Cocalea
Respected Contributor

Re: NIC Installation on LH Pro

Hi,

You should first check the physical connectivity of the NIC. It should have a LED on it. When you plug in it a cable (with the other end in a switch/hub) it should be lit. Else either the NIC is burnt or the cable is bad, or even the port in the hub/switch can be bad.

Next, check the TCP/IP configuration. Can you see other hosts in Network Neighbourhood?

E.
To Live Is To Learn